YesNoOk

See your own avatar (Read 3827 times)

Started by amoeba, November 15, 2004, 20:58:35

See your own avatar |
November 15, 2004, 20:58:35
I change my avatar often now that I actually can (thanks for the great plugin!). I really would like some form of checking my avatar.

For now (I have errors using popups) it says "User is already in your contact list" (MSN Popup) when I open a message dialog with myself or I check my MSN tab in my User Profile.

I believe I've heard you say that you're opposed to this so my recommendation is to make it somewhere not readily visble (like not in the message container itself). Maybe (somehow) allow it to be viewed in User Profile?

Thanks as always,
Bryce
See your own avatar |
November 15, 2004, 21:04:52
"amoeba" said:
For now (I have errors using popups) it says "User is already in your contact list" (MSN Popup) when I open a message dialog with myself or I check my MSN tab in my User Profile.

I believe I've heard you say that you're opposed to this so my recommendation is to make it somewhere not readily visble (like not in the message container itself). Maybe (somehow) allow it to be viewed in User Profile?
Yes, but that should then be done in the protocol plugin, not the message window plugin. There is no code in tabSRMM to check your own avatar and this will probably stay the way it is, as it would require to add quite some code. MSN avatars are stored in .png format which cannot be loaded directly and would need to deal with png2dib or some other png conversion library.

And yes, I'am strictly against having 2 avatar fields in the message window. One is enough.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
See your own avatar |
November 16, 2004, 02:59:55
Roger that.

I'll have to bug the MSN person then.  :(
See your own avatar |
November 16, 2004, 04:25:02
hm.. really don't know.
Probably it is logic to see your avatar in options/network/MSN but in this way it remain a so much hidden feature for non skilled users and however in this way you can't change it fastly (I mean click-click).

To really promote it, as a working feature, I still think that it should be on message window.
__
See your own avatar |
November 16, 2004, 05:18:11
"P.O.W." said:
hm.. really don't know.
Probably it is logic to see your avatar in options/network/MSN but in this way it remain a so much hidden feature for non skilled users and however in this way you can't change it fastly (I mean click-click).

To really promote it, as a working feature, I still think that it should be on message window.
1. There is no room for it in the message window.
2. another avatar field would add unnecessary complexity to the window layout (with all the dynamic resizing its already complex enough).

So no. It will never be in the message window. My opinion is that its just the wrong place for the *own* avatar.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
See your own avatar |
November 16, 2004, 16:20:17
I agree with Mr. Nightwish on this one.

The message container itself should be minimal. That's Miranda IM's concept. It should most definitely stay that way.

I e-mailed the MSN protocol writer and asked about letting me view my avatar inside the User Profile 'MSN' tab. We'll see what he has to say.

-Bryce

----

EDIT!
-----------

Just after I posted I checked the rest of my inbox and saw a message from the guy. Here it is:

--quoting--

George Hazan    
to me

"Hello, Bryce!

<< my text removed >>

The simpliest way to view your own avatar right now is to install mToolTip
plugin and point it to the %MirandaRoot%\MSN\avatar.png. You will be able to
view your avatar from the main menu.

<< my text removed >>

Yes, I plan to insert an avatar preview into Options -> MSN page. It's
scheduled to one of the next builds.

--
WMBR, George Hazan (ghazan@postman.ru)"

--finished quoting--

Good news to all users! It's coming!

Thanks, Nightwish!
See your own avatar |
January 20, 2005, 01:05:22
oh, hi there, we are already three with same desire ^^

and repeat.. i'm same thinking like P.O.W.  and i diagree your conviction with 1 avatar

greets
Maverik
See your own avatar |
January 20, 2005, 01:13:08
"MaverikCH" said:
oh, hi there, we are already three with same desire ^^

and repeat.. i'm same thinking like P.O.W.  and i diagree your conviction with 1 avatar
It belongs to the "features you shouldn't request".

The decision has been made a long time ago. One avatar is enough. Period.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
See your own avatar |
January 20, 2005, 01:24:26
well then .. posting in miranda forum finding an other programer which takes tabSRMM source or build a tab-based SRMM which supports my desire, would be next step ;)

:P
See your own avatar |
January 20, 2005, 01:26:11
"MaverikCH" said:
well then .. posting in miranda forum finding an other programer which takes tabSRMM source or build a tab-based SRMM which supports my desire, would be next step ;)

:P
Do whatever you want. Its open source, so I prolly won't care. But it will never make it into the official version which is in Miranda CVS :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork