YesNoOk

NewEventNotify / popup solution (Read 33758 times)

Started by Nightwish, April 20, 2005, 08:13:45

Re: NewEventNotify / popup solution |
April 30, 2005, 02:18:21
For me:
-system tray icon is useless: I have my taskbar hidden;
-popups are annoying as hell; I use NEN-mod to redirect events to OSD, the old one. It works just fine for me, while the new one, WannabeOSD, is crashing always. Looks like developing stopped for both of them, but at least the old one doesn't crash me, and I tested it for a long time;
-middle click is set as double click (Logitech mouse, 3 buttons, no scroll); can't use a middle click option;
-IEView loads my system too much, so I avoid using it. Anything related to it is of no use
-I'd rather have toolbar customization than other stuff. Text formatting buttons are useless, I'd take them away, but I'd need a BUZZ button for Yahoo instead. And the protocol icon on the status bar, that one I really miss.
Explanation: sometimes I might add a new contact on the run and I don't have time to rename it properly (or at all). Later on I might want to add it to my other account(s), but I forgot on which account I already added it. I have no way of finding that out, unless I actually send a message to that contact so I can see my ID in the message log. This is a little ridiculous, I think.
I have several accounts on Yahoo, but the icons are all the same, I don't want to make my clist look like a X-mas tree! So I can't tell which contact belongs to which account, if it's recently added and not yet renamed.
Could you readd that protocol icon in the status bar, as an option at least? I have plenty of space for it...
Anyway, this was a NEN thread, as I remember. So: full OSD support and no RSS popups is all I need from the integrated module.
As for the rest, tabSRMM is the best and most efficient plugin I ever used. Keep it that way, Alex!
April 30, 2005, 04:47:44
For me:
Even if you, Drugwash, won't use/need it perhaps:
Because of that I'd like to have a little floating icon as a copy of the trayicon, which I can see all the time. I mentioned that some days before, but to that point Nightwish hasn't replied directly.
So, Nightwish? :)
__
Rettet dem Genitiv sein Bestehen.
April 30, 2005, 10:56:01
For me:
Even if you, Drugwash, won't use/need it perhaps:
Because of that I'd like to have a little floating icon as a copy of the trayicon, which I can see all the time. I mentioned that some days before, but to that point Nightwish hasn't replied directly.
So, Nightwish? :)

Maybe :)
I do plan to make all these new menus (favorites, recent entries and the session list) available w/o the tray icon being visible or needed. I just don't yet exactly know how this will look like.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
April 30, 2005, 10:57:38
Drugwash said:
-I'd rather have toolbar customization than other stuff. Text formatting buttons are useless, I'd take them away, but I'd need a BUZZ button for Yahoo instead. And the protocol icon on the status bar, that one I really miss.
You know you can just type <ding> for the BUZZ, right ? :) just like you can write formatted text with: < b>bold</ b>, < i>italic</ i> and < u>underline</ u> (without the spaces)
I think it's not working of you're using IeView but you said it loads your system too much.
April 30, 2005, 11:14:39
For me:
-popups are annoying as hell; I use NEN-mod to redirect events to OSD, the old one. It works just fine for me, while the new one, WannabeOSD, is crashing always

The old OSD was crashing constantly, when the workstation was "locked" under XP or 2k or when using fast user switching under XP. Since many people are using these features, using that plugin is just a bad idea.

Toolbar won't change anymore. Formatting buttons are gone if you disable sending text formatting tags (which makes sense, because you don't need them then).

The protocol icon on the status bar was obsolete, because it was the 3rd instance of a protocol icon - already visible on the toolbar and title bar.That tooltip telling your UIN and the protocols name can be added elsewhere (not sure where, but the protocol icon on the status bar may be the right place).

Anyway, this was a NEN thread, as I remember. So: full OSD support and no RSS popups is all I need from the integrated module.

NoRSS works. OSD was removed, because all the OSD plugins were buggy as hell and I just don't want to get tons of bugreports about "crashes when using tabSRMM" just because they screw up. I really like the idea of OSD announces, but it should be, at least, halfway stable.

If someone comes up with a decently working OSD service plugin - then yes.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 01, 2005, 20:32:18
Nightwish said:
OSD was removed, because all the OSD plugins were buggy as hell
Man, I must be the only Miranda user that has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with the old OSD plugin! Wow!!! I feel proud! :D And you said Windows 98 was bad... :P
Could you please keep that functionality in the ANSI version? Or that one will vanish completely when 1.0.0.0 is released? :'(
Formatting buttons are gone if you disable sending text formatting tags (which makes sense, because you don't need them then).
Oh, but I use text formatting most of the time, I just don't want those buttons there. At least simple formatting can be achieved easier by typing *, / or _. The point was that I could get rid of something I don't want and put instead something I need, at my own choice.
eblis said:
You know you can just type <ding> for the BUZZ, right ? :) [...]
Sure. You know that I can do it much easier by inserting an extra icon in the smiley pack and put <ding> as a smiley trigger word, right?  ;) But still it's too complicated. Besides, DFYX has made an mBot script with antiflood features, that can now extend the BUZZ functionality to ALL protocols installed. So it would be too elegant to have a button with one of Angeli-Ka's icons on it (yes, she made 2 sets of icons especially for it), on the tabSRMM toolbar. It would beat the sh*t out of the other SRMMs!  ;D
Nightwish said:
That tooltip telling your UIN and the protocols name can be added elsewhere
Please do that!

Generally, all I said in the post before was my personal point of view. I had to make it known... Everyone fights for himself usually, isn't it?! ;) A developer can't know what I need and what I don't, unless I tell him, and that's exactly what I just did.
May 01, 2005, 21:36:46
Could you please keep that functionality in the ANSI version? Or that one will vanish completely when 1.0.0.0 is released? :'(

No, sorry. That code is gone forever, and won't come back. I don't want to support plugins with critical and serious bugs - that's just against my principles.

Oh, but I use text formatting most of the time, I just don't want those buttons there. At least simple formatting can be achieved easier by typing *, / or _. The point was that I could get rid of something I don't want and put instead something I need, at my own choice.

Also, I tend to ignore all feature request regarding the toolbar. The toolbar should be considered final, and no more changes are planned. Same for the formatting buttons. If you want simple text formatting only, you can disable the formatting parser which will also hide the toolbar. You could still type something like *bold* though (in general, you only need the toolbar buttons if you want WYSIWYG formatting in the input box and a parser which translates this into formatting tags - either bbcode or the */_ stuff).

__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 02, 2005, 07:55:40
An update on the OSD thing.

I've found out that wbOSD does support the service function so it can be used from external plugins as a popup replacement service (I thought, this was only in the "old" OSD, but it's in wbOSD aswell).

Since this works reasonably well, I've decided to add support for it to replace popups with on screen displays.

I also wrote a quick hack to make wbOSD unicode aware so it can announce unicode messages properly (of course, only with a unicode message window) and some other modifications so that wbOSD can announce multiline messages. I've submitted these patches to the author, but wbOSD is GPL'ed so it's no problem to include the DLLs with tabsrmm (at least, until the author releases a new version).

I don't know if wbOSD does work on 9x though, but if it doesn't - no a problem. Since the service name is exactly the same, this will also work with the old OSD (but since this is not unicode safe, the old osd will only work with the ansi version of tabSRMM - and unfortunately, there is no source code for the old OSD plugin).

So, overall, there are now 3 announcing methods, configurable on the "Event Notify" page:

1) popups
2 balloon tooltips (may not work on Win 9x)
3) OSD

Method 1 and 3 are only available when the plugin (popups or OSD) is installed. Method 2) is built-in and should be always available.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 04, 2005, 12:38:11
As far as I can tell, you use the "ol' Western style": first shoot, then ask.  :smile:
Lucky me OSD didn't die on first shot. ;D
So, what I wanted to say is:
-ballon tooltips never worked and never will, on 9x systems
-wbOSD is still buggy and crashes fairly often on the same systems
-old OSD is working absolutely fine, at least for me

I've been talking to andree (wbOSD's developer) some time ago, asked him to make it 9x compatible, reported some bugs, but after a while development halted. If/when development will be revived, I'll follow it and if it will become stable enough, I'll switch to wbOSD. Meanwhile, I'll stick to the old one, which works fairly well, except for that ugly background (author has no idea that transparency CAN be achieved on 9x, by alternative methods).
One reason for choosing OSD over popups is that I had a few floods from different [...] users and while using popups, my screen was getting filled way over the top with them, finally causing Miranda to crash.
Conclusion: My taskbar is auto-hidden. Miranda's contact list is also auto-hidden (with Behind Edge). OSD is the only direct contact with Miranda's events. Without it I would be paralized...
Lucky me you have a strong will. You just need to be pushed a little.  :P
I knew you won't let me down. ;) Thank you very much, Alex!  :)

P.S. This hidden reply notification is killing me!  :slanted:
Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:40:19 by Drugwash
May 04, 2005, 12:54:41
As far as I can tell, you use the "ol' Western style": first shoot, then ask.  :smile:
Lucky me OSD didn't die on first shot. ;D
So, what I wanted to say is:
-ballon tooltips never worked and never will, on 9x systems

True, they require the new shell which is only available in Windows 2000 or later.

-wbOSD is still buggy and crashes fairly often on the same systems
-old OSD is working absolutely fine, at least for me

Then it's fine. You can use the old OSD instead of wbOSD with the ANSI version of tabSRMM. wbOSD is only needed for the unicode version of tabsrmm.

I've been talking to andree (wbOSD's developer) some time ago, asked him to make it 9x compatible, reported some bugs, but after a while development halted. If/when development will be revived, I'll follow it and if it will become stable enough, I'll switch to wbOSD. Meanwhile, I'll stick to the old one, which works fairly well, except for that ugly background (author has no idea that transparency CAN be achieved on 9x, by alternative methods).

I've submitted the patches I made for wbOSD (mainly for unicode compatibility to him and got a response that he'll actually continue to work on wbOSD.

P.S. This hidden reply notification is killing me!  :slanted:

Goto your profile -> Notifications and Email, and check "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic".

Or switch the forum theme to board default (or "MY_AQUA"). It has DHTML collapsable sections and will remember the state of the "Additional options" (open or closed) using a cookie.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 04, 2005, 13:19:29
Nightwish said:
I've submitted the patches I made for wbOSD (mainly for unicode compatibility) to him and got a response that he'll actually continue to work on wbOSD
Wow, that's good news! I can hardly wait, because wbOSD definitely has better features than the old one. I just hope he'll fix those crashes...
Goto your profile -> Notifications and Email, and check "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic".

Or switch the forum theme to board default (or "MY_AQUA"). It has DHTML collapsable sections and will remember the state of the "Additional options" (open or closed) using a cookie.
Nice, useful features, but I wipe out all Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files and Temp folders on each boot/restart. Keeps my system nice and clean (and untraceable by spyware/hackers/whatever). So, sorry, but unless that cookie is stored on the server instead of my machine, it's not usable... :( That's precisely the reason for complaining that "reply notifications" is not enabled by default. Oh well, I'll just have to keep my head with me when posting. ;)
May 04, 2005, 15:34:22
hat's precisely the reason for complaining that "reply notifications" is not enabled by default.
i hate it when that box is set by default in some boards
anyway, you should simply visit this page once in a while
http://www.miranda.or.at/forums/index.php?action=unreadreplies

wiping your cookies has some obvious downfalls, this is one of them
May 05, 2005, 01:18:38
Forget that.. Now I got something more important.

I just (hardly) found and installed 9.95 MINGW32. I don't know if it's the latest or not. I have one major problem which I hope it's not my fault: instead of opening a new tab for a new contact, I get a new container. I hate that! I couldn't find any setting for it (might be my terrible headache's fault) and I sure didn't have that before.
There are two other minor problems:
and

Please, if there's any newer build, just let me know. ICQ 179359064.
Still have to test this one, but it looks pretty stable for now.

EDIT:
Looks like I've spoken too early. :( I tried to find a fix for the container issue and changed options from "default container mode" to "limit tabs to x" (still have the headache, can't remember exact names). When testing, my previously chosen position was lost, container indeed opened a second tab, but also a second container, incomplete (see photo). On right-clicking on the second container button on taskbar, Miranda crashed.
Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 01:40:12 by Drugwash
May 05, 2005, 09:20:19
And there's a minor typo in the second image: Sbow popups when Status is ...

If you compiled the cvs version maybe it does what it's supposed to :) Maybe nightwish didn't commit all the changes yet and the cvs code is broken.

Bah, nu stiam ca esti roman :) ce ciudat le zici cu "my friend" :))
May 05, 2005, 09:44:50
Forget that.. Now I got something more important.

I just (hardly) found and installed 9.95 MINGW32. I don't know if it's the latest or not. I have one major problem which I hope it's not my fault: instead of opening a new tab for a new contact, I get a new container. I hate that! I couldn't find any setting for it (might be my terrible headache's fault) and I sure didn't have that before.

That container issue may be related to this: http://www.miranda.or.at/forums/index.php/topic,625.0.html
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 05, 2005, 12:59:37
Indeed it is the same issue. Maybe you introduced it unknowingly in the MINGW32 build. That's why I asked if there's a newer build of the 9.95 version, so I can check if it's fixed there.
Just as Big Muscle, I didn't touch any of the old settings, except for those that are not remembered on 9x ("Show arrow icons" and "Simple text formatting") and reverting to 9.94 completely eliminated the issue. And yes, I have "Automatically popup the window/tab when..." enabled.
I also miss the OSD setting in this one (you said you re-enabled the feature).
I hate to report bugs that may have already been fixed. I don't wanna cause you headaches. ;)

@eblis
I didn't compile the CVS, I just installed the testing build posted somewhere in this thread.
(And please, lose that "Bah"; it sounds bad... Thanks. ;) My details are in my profile, either here or at Miranda's forum)
May 05, 2005, 13:02:40
Heh, it's just one of my things, i think "bah" sounds good, maybe like you and "My friend" :)
May 05, 2005, 13:25:10
Indeed it is the same issue. Maybe you introduced it unknowingly in the MINGW32 build. That's why I asked if there's a newer build of the 9.95 version, so I can check if it's fixed there.

I fixed it only yesterday, and there is no new build (yet). It was related to the changes with event notifications and since I don't use autopopup window creation, I simply didn't notice it :)

__
My SMF-based forum fork