YesNoOk

Just too keep you informed.. :) (Read 4064 times)

Started by Nightwish, February 07, 2005, 11:07:56

Just too keep you informed.. :) |
February 07, 2005, 11:07:56
The fact that there hasn't been a new build for more than 2 weeks now doesn't mean that something is wrong :) It also has nothing to do with the suspended nightlys of the core.

The only reason are lots of changes I have implemented recently, and some of them still need work...
  • Theming - export + import all visual settings to a plain text file (.ini format). All fonts, colors, all message log formatting options are included in a "theme". Effectively, a theme allows you to apply about 2/3 of *all* settings with a simple click. Settings which are not saved to a theme are these which affect the functionality. I expect people to share their themes and I don't want someone loosing all his settings by just applying a visual theme.

A complete backup of all settings may come at a later time.
  • text formatting - I added simple text formatting using *bold* /italic/ and _underline_ (same code as in the textformat plugin, just modified to work from inside tabsrmm and work with unicode messages). Formatting buttons were added to the toolbar which allow to edit bold, italic and underline text. However, the fact that mirandas protocols don't allow to send/receive rich text messages means that this currently can only work with the simple text formatting mentioned above. But tabsrmm is basically ready for it.
  • horizontal grid lines can now have its own color (vertical cannot, because the richedit doesn't allow this, but you can disable them).
  • message icons in the log can be replaced by symbols from the Webdings font - looks pretty nice and can dramatically lower the memory footprint (inserting bitmaps into a richedit by using OLE is painfully slow and takes huge amounts of memory - about 8k for a single icon).
There is more, but most of it is less important.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
February 07, 2005, 16:42:13
yeeah :cool:
February 07, 2005, 16:54:40
"MaverikCH" said:
yeeah :cool:

Don't be too euphoric :)

The text formatting is pretty simple (as explained), because none of our protocols support sending rich text at the moment. However, the basic functionality is implemented and can easily improved at a later time.

Theming is something I wanted to do for a long time.. its just *very* boring to write...

Now, someone only needs to write a plugin which takes the themes from tabsrmm, clist_nicer, the icons in use and collect a few settings from the database, and Miranda would have a pretty cool skinning feature..
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
February 08, 2005, 06:46:51
"Nightwish" said:

text formatting - I added simple text formatting using *bold* /italic/ and _underline_ (same code as in the textformat plugin, just modified to work from inside tabsrmm and work with unicode messages). Formatting buttons were added to the toolbar which allow to edit bold, italic and underline text. However, the fact that mirandas protocols don't allow to send/receive rich text messages means that this currently can only work with the simple text formatting mentioned above. But tabsrmm is basically ready for it.

How will it work with popUps? Will we see a formatted text in a message popup or exact sent text - with **, slashes and __? If it's just textformat  plugin clone integrated in tabsRMM without changes, then the answer - exact text. PopUp Plus plugin can show formatted popups but the codes are: bold and etc.

How about smiley detection? *jokingly* and etc? Have i use \* every time?

but anyway that's great :-)
February 08, 2005, 11:49:39
"Velleon" said:
How will it work with popUps? Will we see a formatted text in a message popup or exact sent text - with **, slashes and __? If it's just textformat  plugin clone integrated in tabsRMM without changes, then the answer - exact text. PopUp Plus plugin can show formatted popups but the codes are: bold and etc.

Popups won't show it, unless someone patches the popups plugin. I would *like* to use bbcode as standard metatags for Mirandas text formatting - unfortunately, it wouldn't work right now, because if you send a bbcode formatted message, the protocols would just send the tags. It would work with other miranda users, but not if the oder side uses MSN or ICQ clients - they would then only see the bbcode tags.

We need some kind of meta tags for text formatting. The */_ stuff is not very useful, because its very limited, but the only thing which can work right now without annoying non-miranda users.

How about smiley detection? *jokingly* and etc? Have i use \* every time?

Text formatting is the final thing before the message log gets updated, so smileyadd runs before and this shouldn't be any problem.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
February 09, 2005, 09:19:29
I thought that ICQ supported WSYIWYG?
I can remember years ago sending and receiving messages with multiple colors
February 09, 2005, 09:29:46
"vh1" said:
I thought that ICQ supported WSYIWYG?
I can remember years ago sending and receiving messages with multiple colors

It does. But mirandas ICQ protocol does not. Just sending the richtext output won't work, because the protocols are using a special format to format messages (in some cases, its like html, but some are different - yahoo for example sends ansi escape sequences for coloring text).

So what we need is a unified metaformat between the message window and the protocol, and the protocols would then need to tranlate this into their native formatting stuff.

Its not easy, because it has to work with all the protocols (and it needs to be optional for protocols which do not support it).
__
My SMF-based forum fork