YesNoOk

Variables and the message log  (Read 36118 times)

Started by Nightwish, April 26, 2005, 22:52:36

Re: Variables and the message log  |
May 12, 2005, 08:53:52
You can already share user made themes.
Use the "message log options" button from any container toolbar, and then "export/import message log settings".
Only the theme (colors, fonts and such) and the templates are imported/exported, others settings remain unchanged.

EDIT:
Also, make sure you download the pre3 version, it's out now. Nightwish improved the template editor and added a few new options too :)
Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 08:58:42 by eblis
May 12, 2005, 14:23:11
Man, it is diffecult to master the new message log editor.
Will a tutorial be written at some point and sharing of user-made themes?

Yes, a tutorial and better help will be written. The template editor already contains that "link" which opens the variables thread on this forum. The first post of this thread contains more help on the available variables and I'll frequently update it with more information.

Also, sharing templates works (you can import/export "themes"). These themes do only contain and change visual settings in the message log - no settings which affect the functionality or handling of tabsrmm are changed when you import a theme.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 13, 2005, 07:56:14
%fn%&r
does change the font .. but a see "r" instead of "today"
%fn%c3%&r - > see "3r"
what is wrong?
none of your examples work too
May 13, 2005, 12:48:56
%fn%&r
does change the font .. but a see "r" instead of "today"
%fn%c3%&r - > see "3r"
what is wrong?
none of your examples work too

Sorry, this is work in progress and not yet available in pre3.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 14, 2005, 14:41:46
OK, I've been playing with the template editor for about an hour without success.
(I also tried compiling the latest source where the %c variable is and tried that one... same result)

Screen1:
I have no idea how to make the error font color red. In some previous releases it WAS red but now (I don't know why) it takes it's color somehow from the outgoing message setting. Is it even possible to change this color?

Screen2:
Any way to change the color for old status changes? It's always the same (red in my case). The thing is that I want to use a red color for new status changes and something like "pink" color for the old status changes. And again... is that even possible? This is getting complicated... using the $ and # and %f and %c and everything... ohhhh.

Thanks!
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D
Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 14:43:37 by Koki.v3
May 14, 2005, 14:57:06
OK, I've been playing with the template editor for about an hour without success.
(I also tried compiling the latest source where the %c variable is and tried that one... same result)

Screen1:
I have no idea how to make the error font color red. In some previous releases it WAS red but now (I don't know why) it takes it's color somehow from the outgoing message setting. Is it even possible to change this color?

It's using the error font color (a special font definition in "fonts and colors"

Oh, and %c does work, but, and I think, I have mentioned this in the first article of this thread, you have to use the & modifier on the following variable(s).

& means that the variable will not use it's own font for the given context. If you forget to use &, then %c and %fx variables won't have any effect, because the folowing variable will override the font + color with its own settings.

BTW: that stuff was committed to cvs last night. It wasn't working before, and it doesn't work in pre3.

like: %N will print the nickname, always with the font and color set for Nicknames (depending on the context, incoming, outgoing, old, new etc..)

But %&N will print the Nickname without switching to the font configured for nicknames. It will continue to use the font which is currently active...

So a sequence like: %D, %&N will print the date and the Nickname, but both will be using the "date" font (the & modifier prevents a font change).

If it doesn't work, then your sources are probably too old. Remember, that on sourceforge, anonymous CVS "lags" 6-10 hours behind the master repository.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 14, 2005, 15:14:09
It's using the error font color (a special font definition in "fonts and colors"
Why is it blue then? In the setting you mentioned there is a red color defined... I checked that before I posted.
Template is "%I %e%l%M"

So a sequence like: %D, %&N will print the date and the Nickname, but both will be using the "date" font (the & modifier prevents a font change).
Hmm, I tried simply %N %&M and I only get this: (attachment)

If it doesn't work, then your sources are probably too old. Remember, that on sourceforge, anonymous CVS "lags" 6-10 hours behind the master repository.
In the pre3 release, it does display "in now online (was away)" but the color is still red (not the same as the nickname is). In the latest source (what I have) I can see only what I attached... however in the message log this "M" is "pink" and not red.
__
May 14, 2005, 15:40:18
& doesn't work for messages (%M variable), yet...
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 14, 2005, 16:27:01
__
May 22, 2005, 14:32:32
%-x doesn't insert lines- but  highlight text (changes bg) :(
May 22, 2005, 14:52:22
%-x doesn't insert lines- but  highlight text (changes bg) :(

It does insert a line, but you MUST use a %H after it to change the background color again.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Variables and the message log <- a really cool thing! |
May 22, 2005, 16:56:24
Thanks, what a really asskicking thing.Cool.
But
1) there is not all variables listed in plugin window so newbie will have some difficulties at first time.I had few hard minutes  switching between browser and Miranda :D

2)What about following:use colours modifiers (like %fd) to specify coloring of date, nick etc... in explicit manner?
I.e. by default date coloring should look something like %fd %E (without explicit coloring use some default text font or previously assigned).Why? Let's assume you want to have log like
ICON [XX-XX-XX YY:YY:YY] <Nickname> Message text

Now try to acheive that all "[", "]", "<" and ">" symbols are using same colour like according variable.Now it is possible with things like  %fd[%E] %fn<%N> but it is was not evident for me immediately and logic is quite strange(assimetric).I'm thinking that text coloring should be more explicit so it is will be more easy to deal with it.I.e. %fd[%E] should be used by default and %fd is only what makes %E looking like Date.And er... maybe add option to specify FG\BG colours for %fd directly, just like HTML allows to do?
Re: Variables and the message log <- a really cool thing! |
May 22, 2005, 17:04:22
Thanks, what a really asskicking thing.Cool.
But
1) there is not all variables listed in plugin window so newbie will have some difficulties at first time.I had few hard minutes  switching between browser and Miranda :D

That's intentional. There is simply not enough space on the dialog to explain variables enough. Even increasing the dialog size wouldn't help much - I cannot put the entire posting on it. That's why I put the link on the dialog box.

2)What about following:use colours modifiers (like %fd) to specify coloring of date, nick etc... in explicit manner?
I.e. by default date coloring should look something like %fd %E (without explicit coloring use some default text font or previously assigned).Why? Let's assume you want to have log like
ICON [XX-XX-XX YY:YY:YY] <Nickname> Message text

Explicit coloring is possible. You need to use the %fx, %cx variables and the "&" modifier on following variables so that these variables won't "switch" the font.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 22, 2005, 17:43:29
I cannot put the entire posting on it. That's why I put the link on the dialog box.
Maybe tooltips would help?
May 22, 2005, 17:46:42
I cannot put the entire posting on it. That's why I put the link on the dialog box.
Maybe tooltips would help?

Maybe, but I'am not going to add more stuff there. Users really should read the full docs :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 22, 2005, 18:07:50
You can do it like mToolTip have done with his variables list.. is very handy, is no need to waste space in option tab and you don't need a browser to get variables list.
May 22, 2005, 18:18:41
You can do it like mToolTip have done with his variables list.. is very handy, is no need to waste space in option tab and you don't need a browser to get variables list.

You mean a separate help window which pops up "on request"...

Well.. that may be a better idea.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 22, 2005, 22:48:20
when I wanna to add a white line above  highlighted part of my templates (attached image line2)
I get , besides new line.. a whole new row above (attached image line1).. why?
One more bug in first attachment.. last 2 colors in the bottom.. has disappeared
May 22, 2005, 23:09:37
when I wanna to add a white line above  highlighted part of my templates (attached image line2)
I get , besides new line.. a whole new row above (attached image line1).. why?
One more bug in first attachment.. last 2 colors in the bottom.. has disappeared

Try to enable / disable the "normal" grid lines.

But please understand, that some things are simply not possible with rich edit formatting. This is not IEView. The rich edit syntax was developed for simple text editing, not to create advanced layouts. I tried my best to get most of the possible things, but everything is not and never will be possible. That's why IEView was developed - HTML and CSS is much more powerful than the rich edit syntax.

The blank line comes from additional micro linefeeds which are inserted after and before messages. They are required, because, otherwise, the message log won't update properly when new messages arrive (a paragraph needs to be "complete", otherwise it is not shown).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 24, 2005, 16:48:33
hi, what do you think about adding a variable for the contacts current status (online, offline, away and so on..)

I would like to have it...;)
July 01, 2005, 15:45:39
Does this mean relative date/time stamps are no longer available?  Also, what does %! do?  I can't seem to find an explanation for this variable.
Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 15:50:52 by tksh
July 01, 2005, 16:16:20
what is %!?
A dummy variable. It just prints the following text (until the next % is found) to the log. Only useful together with the # and $ modifiers to get different formatting in old and new events.

Relative time/date stamps are still available.
July 02, 2005, 11:52:14
When I add a tab (%|) the line skips down a row. I would want it to just indent the text.
July 02, 2005, 14:31:35
what is %!?
A dummy variable. It just prints the following text (until the next % is found) to the log. Only useful together with the # and $ modifiers to get different formatting in old and new events.

Relative time/date stamps are still available.

Oops, a bit blind reading through that variables list.  Thanks for pointing out %R and %r.
September 09, 2005, 08:36:36
Hi.

I have an idea: would it be possible to make something like 'custom variables' like mTooltip has...? I mean in mtooltip.ini you can specify what values from database to take and it can be uses then in the tooltip (reffer to the mtooltip.ini from mtooltip.zip for examples and more info)... So the things like this would be possible then... is it doable at all...?