YesNoOk

Another thing which I always wanted to have, but forgot :) (Read 7453 times)

Started by Nightwish, April 25, 2005, 01:45:56

Another thing which I always wanted to have, but forgot :) |
April 25, 2005, 01:45:56
Code:
        + added "auto select and copy" for the message history log. If you release the left mouse 
          button when text is selected in the log and while holding SHIFT it will be copied to
          the clipboard instantly.
          * If no modifier is pressed, selection works as always (you have to use Ctrl-C or the
            context menu to copy it.
          * Hold CTRL to instantly insert the selected text in the message input area (plain text)
            at the current cursor position (may replace any selection in the input area).
          * Hold CTRL-ALT - as above, but inserts formatted text
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Re: Another thing which I always wanted to have, but forgot :) |
April 25, 2005, 15:15:43
+ added "auto select and copy" for the message history log.
mIRC style :) I like that... I got used to it that much, that I installed "auto-copy" extension to Firefox to have this feature enabled in it as well ;D But I don't like that I actually HAVE TO hold shift key in TabSRMM :-\
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D
April 25, 2005, 22:39:13
mIRC style :) I like that... I got used to it that much, that I installed "auto-copy" extension to Firefox to have this feature enabled in it as well ;D But I don't like that I actually HAVE TO hold shift key in TabSRMM :-\

I know, but otherwise too many people will start complaining about unwanted "copy to clipboard".

Actually, mirc style text selection is a nice feature, but it's non-standard and breaks Windows user interface guidelines. People do not expect that just selecting text will instantly copy it to the clipboard (and clear the selection), so that's why, in tabSRMM, you have to hold a modifier to get this.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
April 25, 2005, 23:04:55
So that's why, in tabSRMM, you have to hold a modifier to get this.
What about another useful chechbox ;D or a drop-down menu like Autocopy : Disabled/Enabled/Enabled with SHIFT key in TabSRMM options? ;D
__
April 25, 2005, 23:17:26
So that's why, in tabSRMM, you have to hold a modifier to get this.
What about another useful chechbox ;D or a drop-down menu like Autocopy : Disabled/Enabled/Enabled with SHIFT key in TabSRMM options? ;D

Nothing. We don't need an option for every single little feature (just imagine the results). Holding shift is really not an issue...
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 25, 2005, 23:39:29
Nothing. We don't need an option for every single little feature (just imagine the results). Holding shift is really not an issue...
But I'm too lazy to press it :D ...ok nevermind, you are right. There are already too many options in tabsrmm available.

Anyway... have you seen a screenshot with the options window here? Unfortunately the screenshot isn't there anymore (and I can't find it anywhere in my cache - why the hell is Firefox cache saved so weirdly?). I was just wondering if you were planning revamping the tabsrmm options to look like that.

edit: a typo :)
__
Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 23:52:48 by Koki.v3
April 25, 2005, 23:52:52
here? Unfortunately the screenshot isn't there anymore (and I can't find it anywhere in my cache - why the hell is Firefox cache saved so weirdly?). I was just wondering if you were planning revamping the tabsrmm options to look like that.

I have seen this screenshot, and I even know more about this thing :)

About the option - rework. I have some ideas, of course. For example, the message log page has mostly checkboxes - it could use a chat.dll - style options system with a list box containing all checkboxes. But that approach don't work everywhere in tabsrmm, because most other pages have more than only checkboxes. Lots of text input controls, spinners, some combo boxes - controls which you can only organzie within pages.

An extra tree structure may be the best thing to group all the options in a better way.

Also, I hope that the template based message log will reduce the number of options drastically, especially on the message log options page.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 25, 2005, 23:58:36
Hohoho :) I'll leave it to you :) (what else can I do right?)
Thank you.
__
April 30, 2005, 02:32:22
The "auto select and copy" feature you're talkin' about is in fact the *nix style, as far as I know. And some people are actually used to it and I must say I'd like that very much in tabSRMM. But the SHIFT thing is really breaking it; I might as well press CTRL+C, it's not that much of a difference.
Not to mention that I set keyboard layout changing on CTRL+SHIFT and I might accidentally press both of them instead of just SHIFT, and things would just get messy. Generally, I don't liek mixing mouse gestures with keypresses.
So my opinion would be: leave the auto-copy simple, by mouse only, or forget it. Maybe add an option to disable auto-copy, if someone dislikes it. Nothing fancier. Please.
May 01, 2005, 00:22:50
But the SHIFT thing is really breaking it; I might as well press CTRL+C, it's not that much of a difference.
Agreed...
__
May 01, 2005, 08:05:21
... and while we're at it... can someone confirm...? the CTRL+C doesn't work for me when I select some text in the message log... it doesn't copy anything... rightclick->Copy works fine though... I'm using 9.95 ver...
May 01, 2005, 09:57:10
yes i noticed that too
May 01, 2005, 11:03:27
What the hell... you are right. I noticed it too but I though my keyboard was somehow "stuck" and the CTRL key didn't work (it happens for me sometimes).
__
May 01, 2005, 12:26:23
The autocopy broke it (or maybe it was broken even before).

It's now fixed, but Ctrl-C in the message log won't work when autocopy is active. Reason: autocopy clears the selection immeadiatly after the mouse button has been released AND sets the focus back to the input area.

Also, the auto-copy (mirc style) method of copying text from the log is now optional and needs to be enabled. But when it is enabled, it's no longer necessary to hold SHIFT.

The CTRL and CTRL-Alt modifiers still work (ctrl immediatly inserts the selected text to the message input area, ctrl-alt does the same, but with formatting information).

I added some more "shortcut". Holding shift when using the mousewheel while the input area holds the focus will scroll the message log w/o the need to change focus away from the input area.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 12:29:51 by Nightwish
May 01, 2005, 19:44:30
That all sounds great but... am I missing something here?! 9.95 version...uhm... am I blind, or what?
Last test release: 0.9.9.94. Download Updated: April 14 2005, 06:00 GMT+1
Any hints would be appreciated. But if there's no ANSI version for 9.95, then don't bother...
Thank you!
May 01, 2005, 19:51:22
That all sounds great but... am I missing something here?! 9.95 version...uhm... am I blind, or what?
Last test release: 0.9.9.94. Download Updated: April 14 2005, 06:00 GMT+1
Any hints would be appreciated. But if there's no ANSI version for 9.95, then don't bother...
Thank you!

.94 is still the latest "stable" build. Current stuff is work in progress and will most likely take some more days until I post a complete .95. Main reason for the delay is the message template/variables stuff - it's working, but the template editor is currently not very user friendly and needs some more work.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 01, 2005, 20:44:58
My dear, I'm not afraid of "unstable" releases. Most of the plugins I use are or have been for a lot of time "unstable". I've been testing and improving Webview with Bumper1 for some time...
I always use or at least try to use the latest versions in everything I'm interested, even if they're alphas. Bugs or unwanted behaviour reports are always welcome when you want to release a product as close to perfection as possible.
So if there's anything new, don't be shy. I can take a hit.  ;)
May 01, 2005, 21:24:55
Nightwish said:
I added some more "shortcut". Holding shift when using the mousewheel while the input area holds the focus will scroll the message log w/o the need to change focus away from the input area.
Can this be the standard way please ? I mean: can you make the scroll wheel scroll the message log while the input area holds focus without needing to hold down shift ?
If someone is using the scroll wheel then they probably want to scroll something, right :) ? and there's nothing else to scroll in tabsrmm ...

Scrolling the area where the mouse is with the scroll wheel even if that area doesn't have focus is standard in Linux and i think it's nice :)
May 01, 2005, 22:11:26
Nightwish said:
Can this be the standard way please ? I mean: can you make the scroll wheel scroll the message log while the input area holds focus without needing to hold down shift ?

No. Won't work and would break scrolling in the input box completely.

If someone is using the scroll wheel then they probably want to scroll something, right :) ? and there's nothing else to scroll in tabsrmm ...

Sure, the input box can also need scrolling.

Scrolling the area where the mouse is with the scroll wheel even if that area doesn't have focus is standard in Linux and i think it's nice :)

I know, but Miranda is a Windows program, so it should follow Windows UI behaviour.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 15, 2005, 18:49:04
When I click into message log, window is in focus and I roll the mousewheel, Miranda crashes completely.
May 17, 2005, 08:38:29
Please download the .pre3 version and try again. If that one crashes too (it shouldn't) let Nightwish know so he can fix it :)