YesNoOk

New build of the .95 series is up. (Read 71000 times)

Started by Nightwish, May 20, 2005, 00:46:52

Share this topic:
New build of the .95 series is up. |
May 20, 2005, 00:46:52
[center]Updated to -pre7[/center]

The new tab control. It is now a fully self-drawn control with the ability to configure different font and background colors (background colors obviously don't work with visual styles) for different tab states, in particular:

* Normal (unselected tab, no unread events)
* Selected (the active tab)
* Unread (new events waiting)
* Hot Track (mouse over)

Additionally, the tabs are now able to flash both the icon and the text label in any combination.

To setup the tab appearance, right click a tab and choose "Configure Tab Appearance...". Some options don't apply to open containers, so you'll have to close and re-open them. There are technical reasons, because not all attributes of a tab control are changeable at run time.

When using tabs at the bottom, the tab skins are mirrored properly so they won't any longer look "wrong". When using classic theme, bottom tabs are always shown as "flat" (button-bar style). Flat tabs are not yet finished completely and will improve (visually) in the future.

This version also contains its own copy of the button class used for toolbar buttons. The MButton class in current versions of Miranda has some serious problems with slow redrawing. This is a temporary solution and will go away as soon as MButton will be fixed in the core.

The template parser got a new variable (%cx for setting the font) and the & modifier to print variables without switching the font.

A new option allows to show the floater only when the contact list is minimized.

[center]Download[/center]
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 05:20:39 by Nightwish
Re: New build of the .95 series is up. |
May 20, 2005, 01:15:34
Oh booohooo, I just posted a damn long post about the tab errors and they'll be probably fixed here... ok, I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for the new version ;D

edit: omg I wrote "old" instead of "long"...
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D
Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:25:30 by Koki.v3
May 20, 2005, 06:40:43

you probably know about that :)

May 20, 2005, 06:50:52
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 20, 2005, 09:20:43
yes apparently
i am often too lazy to put on my glasses, so... :P
May 20, 2005, 09:21:00
Some minor visual glitches:
The cancel button is still spelled in german :)
And a text control is a bit too large.

I wanted to report that in miranda options, "Event notifications" -> "Announce events of type ..." the first checkbox isn't large enough to show the whole text but if you resized it it would create a scroll bar so i thought you intended it this way.

EDIT2:
Hottrack only happens when the mouse button is clicked, shouldn't it happen on a mouse move ?

EDIT1:
Added some more visual glitches when using flat buttons :)
Like programe reported in the cvs warning thread, when the first tab is selected it "disappears", (i think the text is written with the same color as the background). Any other tab is shown right. I've attached 3 images.
  • first one: when any tab other than the first is selected, it works fine. As you can see from the image the first tab isn't drawn right, it doesn't have the rectangle delimiting the tab
  • second one: when the first tab is selected it "dissapears"
  • the third one: this is what i get if i use the mouse wheel on the tabs :)
Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 09:38:30 by eblis
May 20, 2005, 12:27:27
Every Time I open a message session to any contact I get a PopUp:

Global
tabSRMM. set private icon

I've never gotten this in earlier Releases.

What is its meaning?
May 20, 2005, 13:45:59
In changelog you said you updated readme.txt
But still need to fix:
tabSRMM is an advanced messaging module for Miranda IM (version 0.3.3 or later
required)
at the beginning.

I wanted to report that in miranda options, "Event notifications" -> "Announce events of type ..." the first checkbox isn't large enough to show the whole text but if you resized it it would create a scroll bar so i thought you intended it this way.
According to what my options look like, it looks like around 10-15 characters could be added without the need for a scrollbar. Look at the option "system tray and floater options"-> 3rd checkbox is longer than the first checkbox you are describing.

Global
What is its meaning?
I don't seem to have that problem. :-\
Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 13:47:57 by andrewabc
May 20, 2005, 14:31:57

Global

What is its meaning?
Same problem here. Here's the Version Information:
Miranda IM - VersionInformation plugin by Hrk (hrk@users.sourceforge.net)
Miranda's homepage: http://www.miranda-im.org/
Miranda tools: http://www.miranda-im.org/download/

Report generated on: 17:30:53 of 20/05/2005 (day/month/year)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP [ver: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1]
Installed RAM: 512 MBytes
Free disk space on Miranda partition: 69255 MBytes
Miranda IM version: 0.4.0.1 alpha
Build time: 21:12:33 of 17/05/2005 (day/month/year)
Nightly: Yes

Active Plugins:
buddypounce.dll - Buddy Pounce [0.3.2.1]
changeinfo.dll - Change User Details [0.3.4.0]
chat.dll - Chat [0.2.1.3]
clist_meta_mw.dll - MetaMultiWin Contact List [0.0.2.36]
contacts.dll - Send/Receive Contacts+ [1.4.2.0]
dbeditorpp.dll - Database Editor++ [3.0.0.0]
dbx_3x.dll - Miranda database - with AutoBackups [0.5.1.2]
findamsg.dll - Find A Message [0.2.1.0]
fontservice.dll - FontService [0.0.0.3]
gmail.dll - Gmail Notifier Plugin [0.2.1.0]
historypp.dll - History++ [1.4.0.0]
icolib.dll - Icons library manager [0.0.0.2]
icq.dll - ICQ Oscar v8 / Joe [0.3.5.2]
icq_original.dll - ICQ Oscar v8 / Joe [0.3.5.2]
import.dll - Import contacts and messages [0.9.2.2]
keepstatus.dll - KeepStatus [0.0.2.2]
linklist.dll - History Linklist [0.1.0.4]
metacontacts.dll - MetaContacts [0.9.9.5]
micqbirthday.dll - micqBirthday [0.3.4.0]
msn.dll - MSN Protocol [0.4.0.3]
mtooltip.dll - mToolTip [0.0.1.4]
nimcontact.dll - Non-IM Contact [0.5.0.1]
popup.dll - PopUp Interoperability [2.0.3.8]
quicksearch.dll - Quick Search [1.3.0.2]
secureim.dll - SecureIM 1.0.4.5 [1.0.4.5]
seenplugin.dll - Last seen plugin [5.0.1.1]
shellfilesend.dll - Send File shell extension [0.1.1.5]
smileyadd.dll - SmileyAdd [0.1.4.4]
snapping_windows.dll - Snapping windows [0.0.1.8]
tabsrmm_unicode.dll - tabSRMsgW (unicode) [0.9.9.95]
toptoolbar.dll - TopToolbar [0.6.0.11]
typingnotify.dll - Typing Notify [0.0.1.6]
uinfoex.dll - Extended UserInfo [0.1.0.1]
versioninfo.dll - Version Informations [1.0.1.5]
virtualgroup.dll - vGroups [0.0.0.3]
wassup.dll - Wassup [0.3.1.2]
winpopup_proto.dll - WinPopup Protocol [0.0.0.10]
yahoo.dll - Yahoo Protocol Beta/Nightly [0.3.0.7]

Inactive Plugins:
neweventnotify.dll - NewEventNotify [0.0.4.1]
newnr.dll - New "Sticky Notes & Reminders" [0.0.4.5]
smartinfo.dll - SmartInfo [0.9.2.0]

May 20, 2005, 16:47:58

Global

It is a debugging message, ignore it.

It indicates that a toolbar icon was loaded with the wrong size and need a resize to fit on the toolbar button. Most likely, an icon set problem.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 17:13:03 by Nightwish
May 20, 2005, 17:44:11
When a container is created because someone wrote to me the log isn't scrolled to the end of the history, to let me see what was just written, it's at the start of the history. This only happens when the container is created, it works fine for new tabs in containers that were created already.
(only happens if you have "Create containers, but leave them minimized" and "Create tabs in the background" enabled and you click on the taskbar window, if you click on the tray icon then the log is scrolled.)

If you have "Create containers, but leave them minimized" or "Create tabs in the background" disabled and you middle click the tray icon (wait a second or two before clicking) then 2 tabs are created for the same contact.
May 20, 2005, 18:15:53
Alex, please.. make this whole tab customization optional! I want my old default setting back.
besides the fact that is very buggy:
http://img267.echo.cx/img267/720/b10ft.jpg
and I can't get it look normal ... I must reconfigure it every time I change my theme.. is a real pain in.. the.. ***
one more bug.. that is driving me crazy.. When I roll mouse wheel on focused message log (with IEView) it switches tabs instead of scrolling...and I need to scroll it every time when I get a new message, because whole log is scrolling up on every event..... is insane..
Using TabSRMM is more and more frustrating with each new release.. :(
May 20, 2005, 18:20:45
Alex, please.. make this whole tab customization optional! I want my old default setting back.

No, sorry. That's not possible. The old code is removed.

besides the fact that is very buggy:

Yes, I know. But that will improve.. :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 20, 2005, 19:53:31
one more bug.. that is driving me crazy.. When I roll mouse wheel on focused message log (with IEView) it switches tabs instead of scrolling...
This only happens if you try to scroll down while at the end of the log :)

Angeli-Ka said:
Using TabSRMM is more and more frustrating with each new release.. :(
A lot of nice features have been added, just wait until this new custom tab drawing gets fixed.
May 20, 2005, 20:25:09
one more bug.. that is driving me crazy.. When I roll mouse wheel on focused message log (with IEView) it switches tabs instead of scrolling...

I already found that... Really weird thing...

It not only scrolls the tab, it also changes the focus back to the input area, but like you said, only if you scroll the IEView window completely to its top or bottom...

It really looks like misrouted dialog messges reaching a window which they shouldn't reach at all while IEView has the focus and therefore should receive all that messages.

I also don't think it's an ieview issue - MAYBE an Internet explorer thing... Its mouswheel behaviour is weird anyway.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 20, 2005, 20:34:53
would it be possible to have the tabs switch when using the mousewheel, even if the mouse isn't over one of the tab-buttons, but in the "tab-row". so if you have to tabs open, you can scroll also at the right of the tabbar, e.g.
__
Rettet dem Genitiv sein Bestehen.
May 20, 2005, 20:43:18

I start scrooling when log isn't at the end.. and .. when it riches it... tab is switched.. I even don't get to see when is happend ...
default richedit doesn't switch when it's got the end.. so.. I think is a bug.. (didn't occured with previous build of TabSRMM.. so is his fold)
A lot of nice features have been added, just wait until this new custom tab drawing gets fixed.
this "nice" features must be OPTIONAL..(My IMHO this is completelly useless)
 I didn't ask for it, I don't like it.. and this features make using TabSRMM harder.. I wrote why.. a change a lot my themes.. configure every time tab headers - is a unneeded and unpleasend task...
I'm not against new features.. but I don't like to be forced to use them... :(
May 20, 2005, 21:03:35
default richedit doesn't switch when it's got the end.. so.. I think is a bug.. (didn't occured with previous build of TabSRMM.. so is his fold)
Of course, it's a bug, but I already found it. I guess, its an internet explorer bug with mousewheel handling.
this "nice" features must be OPTIONAL..(My IMHO this is completelly useless)

No, they must not be optional - the new tab control was written with reasons. Some of them are:

1) no need for a global image list anymore with all protocol icons duplicated - that saves resources.

2) better tab notifications (flashing not only the icon, but also the label, changing colors for unread tabs etc. These features were requested fairly often, and I think, they are useful.

3) no more "crappy" look with visual styles and tabs at the bottom.

4) a new feature to "auto adjust" the tab widths when using a single row tab control. I always hated the multiline tabs ant the way it looks. So, the new tab control will, when put into single row mode, work like the tabs in firefox or opera - start with a fixed width and when too much tabs are open, it will decrease the width slowly so that all tabs will fit in a single row (note, that's disabled in the current downloadable build)

Also, please understand, that ALL .95 builds are not intended for daily usage. They are for testing and most of the features are not complete. There is a reason, why .94 can still be downloaded from this page and is marked as "last release".

I already added an option to use standard windows colors for the tab labels, so you won't have to re-configure the colors every time you change a theme.

I suggest that you wait until this stuff is complete. Since .94 was released, I added a lot of stuff. I know, that not everything is working as it should, but it will - it only takes some time :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 20, 2005, 21:12:38

It's not a checkbox issue :) I just didn't complete the text for this option. Most likely, because something was disturbing me while writing this stuff (maybe a phone call or maybe my boss wanting my attention :) )

As for the tab control issues. Most of them should be fixed by now. Labels are clipped properly and many drawing bugs are gone. Also, when using classic theme, bottom tabs are back to their default look and the tab control can now use standard windows colors for backgrounds and labels.

Single row tab controls are now global (no more per container - doesn't make much sense, imho) and can autmatically layout themselves without showing these annyoing scroll buttons (I think, that's one of the worst ideas in Windows' UI design).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 21:26:03 by Nightwish
May 20, 2005, 21:31:22
"I already added an option to use standard windows colors for the tab labels, so you won't have to re-configure the colors every time you change a theme."
Oh.. thanks... I can live with bugs.. cose I'm aware of fact that they, eventually, will be fixed.. but constant reconfiguring of everything.. is way to hard...
Having "default" setting.. is very handy... especially for theme/icons makers/testers like me...
About mousewheel bug.. It was triggered somehay by your latest code changes.. can you  fix it?
I ended up ..  sending messages to wrong tab.. it was just funny.. this time.. but... I'm afraid that it can be very unpleasant in other circumstances..
May 20, 2005, 21:57:26

About mousewheel bug.. It was triggered somehay by your latest code changes.. can you  fix it?

Already done.

I ended up ..  sending messages to wrong tab.. it was just funny.. this time.. but... I'm afraid that it can be very unpleasant in other circumstances..

I know :) It actually happened to me, but that was my own fault - no bug to blame for it :)

__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 21, 2005, 01:48:10
OK, let's get back to business:

In Dialog 4, Hot Track (mose over) control too short for a proper translation; it goes down on the next row, which is partly covered by the groupbox and the control below it.
Please make it 105 px wide.

Missing strings in german translation file:

<DIALOG 1>
[%s:\tSecond\n%o:\tMonth (number)\n%O:\tMonth (name)\n%d:\tDay of Month\n%w:\tDay of week\n%a:\thour (12)\n%p:\tAM/PM symbol\n%U\tUIN]
[Double click a template to edit it. Select templates in the list box to show a preview]

<DIALOG 4>
[Padding is the additional space between the tab label or icon and the tab border.\nThe inner margin defines the spacing between the tab page and its contente while the outer margin defines the spacing between the tab page and the container window border.]
[Bottom tabs vertical adjustment. Set this to adjust the vertical position of bottom tabs when using visual styles. Positive values shift the tab upwards, negative values downwards.]
[Abbrechen] was already reported by eblis
[horizontal]

<DIALOG 300>
CONTROL "Statisch", 1243 and 1244 are still in German and they don't have enough room for themselves, not to mention about translations (Romanian would be fine, but others...)

<DIALOG 303>
CONTROL "Statisch", 1379 again in German and too little room
(Maybe they're not supposed to be visible, after all?!)

<EVENT NOTIFICATIONS>
[Event popups] changed to [Event notifications]
[Disable ALL event notifications (check, if you're using a plugin] incomplete string (I read the reason why) but still it's not translatable (unless I missed a space somewhere)
[When floater is enabled, only show it while the contact list is minimized]

In Message Window> General
[Message window options]

IcoLib descriptions:

[Font color]
[Sounds are On]
[Sounds are off]
[Message Log frozen]
[Session List]
[Favorite Contacts]
[Setup Sidebar]
[Contact Preferences]
[Pulldown Button]
[Left Arrow]
[Up Arrow]
[Right Arrow]

[Sending typing notifications is: Enabled]
[Sending typing notifications is: Disabled]

By me, the "invisible tab label" issue appears only when "Flat tabs" is enabled. Otherwise it works correctly.

EDIT:
Damn, I always forgot about this one: Select font color button won't do anything. Never ever since it's been "born".
Are there any special conditions for it to work, or is it just another Win9x issue?
Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 02:40:38 by Drugwash
May 21, 2005, 02:57:44
The build has been updated. Download

The most critical bugs with the tab control should now be fixed (hopefully). When classic theme is in use, the look of bottom tabs has been restored (they no longer always look like buttons). Single row mode got automatic layouting, so that the annyoing tab scroller won't appear anymore. Single row mode uses fixed tab widths. It starts with a width of 100 pixels, until the row fills up, then it gradually decreases the tab width so that all tabs will fit. The starting value can be configured by creating a DWORD value with the name "fixedtabs" under Tab_SRMsg.

The dialog for configuring the tab appearance has 2 new options for the colors: Use windows colors - if enabled, colors for the background and/or text labels will be taken from the current color scheme.

Selected button tabs now appear "pushed", hottracked tabs "raised". Normal tabs have a simple border.

The weird bug with mousewheel scrolling and IEView should be fixed aswell.

The "tabs and layout" option page has been redesigned to make it look less crowded and to be consistent with the other option pages.

The "Dismiss Event" popup action has been removed. Sorry, if you found that useful - I don't see any reason for such an option and it was causing WAY too much confusion about "lost" events. "Dismiss Popup" is still available of course, but this will only close the popup and not touch the event.

The "set private icon" debug message has been removed.

@Drugwash,

Thanks for the heads up regarding translations. The new option pages (which the list boxes) allow for longer strings, that's why I may change a few more (to make them easier to understand). Also, space is no longer so limited on the option pages and I think, it's a good thing and will allow better translations in the end.

I'am currently focusing on the code to fix the remaining bugs. The new tab control was the last "big" thing - actually, it was planned for a long time, ever since I realized how much the default Win32 tab control sucks, because it offers almost no way to customize its look.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 21, 2005, 03:27:35
Nightwish said:
Thanks for the heads up regarding translations.
Oh, don't mention it. It's just a humble contribution, compared to the huge amount of work invested by you in this plugin. ;)
Regarding the tabs scrolling, I just had the craziest idea ever: a very thin scrollbar, similar to the one in Winamp, for example, between the bottom of the tabs (or top, if the tabs are at bottom) and the edge of the message window. I'd make a drawing, but I'm too tired (been up all night, as usual). I hope you get my idea...
It would eliminate the need for shrinking, but it'd have the disadvantage of keeping some tabs invisible, behind the edge of the container. Still, an arrow (left or right) could flash when a new event is received in one of the hidden tabs.
I don't know about others, but I'd like this feature more than having those tabs shrinked to maybe 1 or 2 characters, and I guess I hate tabs on multiple rows more than you. :)
And about translation strings, please, if possible, make some kind of a change log for strings that have changed from one version to another, so I can just modify the old ones, not always add new strings. It's kinda hard to search for the old strings when you don't know which ones they were...
Maybe something like:

[New string] was [Old string]
Translation
That's it, I'm crumbling down. Gotta go to sleep. More news when I wake up and install the pre5 build.
Cheers!
May 21, 2005, 03:59:09
Regarding the tabs scrolling, I just had the craziest idea ever: a very thin scrollbar, similar to the one in Winamp, for example, between the bottom of the tabs (or top, if the tabs are at bottom) and the edge of the message window. I'd make a drawing, but I'm too tired (been up all night, as usual). I hope you get my idea...
It would eliminate the need for shrinking, but it'd have the disadvantage of keeping some tabs invisible

That's exactly what I want to avoid. Scrolling tab controls are bad. The purpose of tabs is to give you *fast* access to several pages of information. The fact that you first have to scroll without even an idea in which direction breaks the entire idea of the tabbed user interface.

Besides, Windows got that scrolling thing wrong in almost every aspect. The little scroll bugger doesn't even show you where you can scroll.

The auto-shrinking works well, unless you have lots of tabs, because then, the labels become too small. But for this case, multi-row tab controls are still possible (although, I also don't like them, because they tend to be confusing). But they are working as always.

Most popular tabbar implementations (opera, firefox etc..) do the same. They have a single row with fixed tab widths and adjust the size accordingly. In tabSRMM, this is optional, because the default multirow tab control still works.

I don't know about others, but I'd like this feature more than having those tabs shrinked to maybe 1 or 2 characters, and I guess I hate tabs on multiple rows more than you. :)

If you really use that much tabs, you should consider using multirow tabs. Or organize your contacts :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork