YesNoOk
  1. Welcome!
    EosAlpha BBS is a fork of the popular Simple Machines Forum software. We aim at creating a new forum software, adding several new features and a modern and fresh design on top of the existing SMF code base.

This software is currently in an early stage of development and this forum acts primarily as a testing platform for the ongoing development.

Feel free to look around to get an idea about how it feels and looks.

Feature News and announcement system overhaul (Read 3576 times)

Started by Nightwish, September 29, 2011, 18:46:48
smf

Share this topic:
News and announcement system overhaul |
September 29, 2011, 18:46:48
Board news and announcement system

SMF had a fairly decent system for showing board news and important announcements on the board home page, using a JavaScript controlled news fader. While useful, the feature had a few fundamental shortcomings:
  • Only global news items were possible (no way to limit them to certain boards or even topics).
  • No way to limit the display of a given news item to a subset of user groups
Because of these limitations, I decided to overhaul the board news feature with a much more flexible system that allows the following things:
  • News items are stored in a dedicated database table (unlike before, where they were part of the modSettings array)
  • A news item may only appear in the message index of one or more boards, on the board index, or in the topic view. The latter can be useful to attach news to sticky or other important topics.
  • A news item can be limited to one or more user groups. This makes it possible to show certain news items, like a registration hint, only to guests, for example.
  • News can have a "teaser" (a shortened version) and provide a read more link for showing the complete item.
  • Users may dismiss a news item that they've already seen, unless the item forbids this in which case it will always be visible. For a shortened news item that shows a "read more" link, the dismiss action is only available after reading the full text.
  • Little overhead. The news items uses the caching system to reduce the number of database queries.
News items can use full BBCode (and when edited by an administrator also HTML) formatting and can contain up to 65K of text (a TEXT column is being used for the content).

If multiple items must be rendered, they can be presented in list style or (optionally) with a JavaScript controlled manual fader, providing links to the previous and next item(s).
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
3 Like It 
Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:02:07 by Nightwish
Re: News and announcement system overhaul |
March 20, 2012, 13:05:47
Hey there :)
Just saw you resumed work on EosAlpha... Cool! It was feeling a bit lonely in the fork front.
Feel free to post on wedge.org to say that 'the rumors of its death were greatly exaggerated', of course ;)
__
  Wedge
« Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974.
It's a scientific fact. » (Homer Simpson)
March 20, 2012, 13:18:22
Hey there :)
Just saw you resumed work on EosAlpha... Cool! It was feeling a bit lonely in the fork front.
Well, I was kinda busy for the last couple of months. First, there were a few "distractions" like Skyrim or SW:Tor, then some busy weeks at work and finally 3 weeks of vacation :)
Feel free to post on wedge.org to say that 'the rumors of its death were greatly exaggerated', of course ;)
Not yet found the post stating EoS is dead, but I've seen you're now finally running wedge on wedge.org. Congrats, looks nice so far and the site seems to be a lot faster than before (which his always a good thing).
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
March 20, 2012, 19:18:32
Skyrim is a worthy distraction, eheh, I have yet to finish the Dark Brotherhood storyline and the Main Quest (did pretty much all of the other quests and minor tasks), these days I'm into Kingdoms of Amalur which isn't bad either.

The EoS thing is in the Private area IIRC.
Yeah, it's finally running Wedge, actually I thought it made you want to restart dev on EoS since this happened at the same time ;)
I suppose you'd already seen the demo sites before, anyway...? (For Friends only. And you're in the Friends group.)

As for speed, yes, it's one of the big things in Wedge - I'm obsessive about speed, especially because we added jQuery, and I couldn't take in the extra 30KB without fighting back, ah ah. In the end, we load much faster than a stock SMF that doesn't use jQuery :)
__
  Wedge
March 21, 2012, 12:21:52
Skyrim is a worthy distraction, eheh, I have yet to finish the Dark Brotherhood storyline and the Main Quest (did pretty much all of the other quests and minor tasks), these days I'm into Kingdoms of Amalur which isn't bad either.
Well, I haven't finished it either, but that's not a problem. Elder scrolls games have always been designed to be "open ended" without quests and storylines being mandatory.
The EoS thing is in the Private area IIRC.
Yeah, found it. It was in one of the blog articles...
Yeah, it's finally running Wedge, actually I thought it made you want to restart dev on EoS since this happened at the same time ;)
Really? I thought you had made the update ealier as I haven't been visiting wedge.org for the last few weeks (while I was away).
I suppose you'd already seen the demo sites before, anyway...? (For Friends only. And you're in the Friends group.)
Yeah, but quite a while ago and it did look somewhat different back then.

BTW: Happy B'day :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 14:32:03 by Nightwish
March 24, 2012, 04:36:41
Thanks!
__
  Wedge