YesNoOk

The whole deal about tray icon, floater and all that stuff (Read 4706 times)

Started by Nightwish, May 10, 2005, 22:11:14

The whole deal about tray icon, floater and all that stuff |
May 10, 2005, 22:11:14
Since 95pre, tabSRMM has this little floater, which some people like, and others don't.

Of course, the fact that you cannot disable it is only temporary, because .95pre was released for testing and was unfinished in some areas.

Beginning with the next release, that stuff works as following:

• Tray icon is optional (as always)
  • The floater is optional and must be enabled explicitly
  • Both the tray icon and the floater can co-exist. Both can be off. If they are off, event handling works as usual with mirandas tray icon flashing. Note that the hotkey described below does work without the tray icon or floater. Even with these elements off, tabSRMM maintains a internal list of sessions with unread events.
  • If both are disabled, it is still possible to access the session list (the menu with the list of open tabs) and the tray menu with favorites and recent entries by either a hotkey or a small and very unintrusive UI element in the status bar (see screenshot below).
  • The tray icon has been improved a bit, so that middle clicking on it opens the last contact with an *unread* event. If there are more than 1 tab with unread events, you can middle click multiple times to bring them on screen (no matter if the tab is already open, or the unread message is waiting in the contacts list event queue). If there is NO unread event, it opens the tab which was last active (focused).
  • Also, the global hotkey Ctrl-Shift-R does basically the same. It cycles through the contacts with unread events in reverse order, so that it always opens the tab with the most recent event. The modifiers can be configured (Ctrl-Shift, ctrl-alt or Alt-Shift). Since this hotkey is global, it is not necessary that a tabSRMM window has the focus. It works from everywhere. (the hotkey may be configurable at a later time).

The problem is that all this stuff (tray menus etc.) will only work on Win 2000 or later. Reason: Win 9x does not allow 32bit menu item identifiers, and these are required to make this work, because the menu items are related to contact handles (which are 32 bit aswell).

[edit] Screenshot added.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 23:23:40 by Nightwish
Re: The whole deal about tray icon, floater and all that stuff |
May 10, 2005, 23:29:28
Forgot to add it? ;)
edit: Oh there it is :)

Some things about the tray icon:

I.. well, I don't like the middle click. I just don't use this mouse button at all. Can't there be something like "Hide/Show" entry in the right-click menu (for example on the top)? And it would do the same as the middle click. For me it's much easier to righ-click & left click then actualy move the finger and press this stupid mouse *wheel* button.

Favorite user bug: When I add a user to my favorites, it's in the tray's right-click menu - that's ok. But when I right-click the contact (the one which is already a favorite one) in contact-list, select "tabSRMM settings and then just click OK, this happens (attachment)... and every time I open the settings and press OK, there is a new entry in the favorites menu (for the same contact).
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D
May 10, 2005, 23:59:13
I.. well, I don't like the middle click. I just don't use this mouse button at all. Can't there be something like "Hide/Show" entry in the right-click menu (for example on the top)? And it would do the same as the middle click. For me it's much easier to righ-click & left click then actualy move the finger and press this stupid mouse *wheel* button.

Then use the hotkey - it's easier anyway. Too much menu entries are only confusing...

Favorite user bug: When I add a user to my favorites, it's in the tray's right-click menu - that's ok. But when I right-click the contact (the one which is already a favorite one) in contact-list, select "tabSRMM settings and then just click OK, this happens (attachment)... and every time I open the settings and press OK, there is a new entry in the favorites menu (for the same contact).

Thanks, fixed. Stupid one :)
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 11, 2005, 00:09:49

Then use the hotkey - it's easier anyway. Too much menu entries are only confusing...
Yeah... I was gonna ask if there is any way that TabSRMM can support clist_mw's MenuOrder function to organize menu entries in the tray icon. All I need is just Hide/Show (what's the hotkey anyway?), Recent and Favorites entries. I really don't need those options like "be super silent" and everything... But if it's not possible, just ignore me :)
__
May 11, 2005, 00:21:44
Beginning with the next release, that stuff works as following:

• The tray icon has been improved a bit, so that middle clicking on it opens the last contact with an *unread* event. If there are more than 1 tab with unread events, you can middle click multiple times to bring them on screen (no matter if the tab is already open, or the unread message is waiting in the contacts list event queue). If there is NO unread event, it opens the tab which was last active (focused).
  • Also, the global hotkey Ctrl-Shift-R does basically the same. It cycles through the contacts with unread events in reverse order, so that it always opens the tab with the most recent event. The modifiers can be configured (Ctrl-Shift, ctrl-alt or Alt-Shift). Since this hotkey is global, it is not necessary that a tabSRMM window has the focus. It works from everywhere. (the hotkey may be configurable at a later time).
I've asked this before but here goes: Can you make middle click and hotkey hide the containers as well ? I only have one container, i middle click the tray icon to see the unread messages and now that i read them i'd like to hide the container again - and i have to go to all the way to the minimize button for that :P
  • while i still have contacts with unread events and I keep middle clicking the tray icon (or hotkey) it shows me all of them; after there are no more unread events and i middle click the tray icon it focuses the last active tab BUT when i click on the tray icon again and there are no more unread events *and* the container has focus it minimizes. What do you think ?

In short: If there are no more unread events and the container has focus minimize it instead of focusing it (which would be redundant anyway :) )

Oh, btw, what does "be super quiet" do ? There's another option, "don't play sounds" that's a toggle button but this one isn't so i didn't figure out it's purpose. What does it do ? :)
May 11, 2005, 00:23:00
Yeah... I was gonna ask if there is any way that TabSRMM can support clist_mw's MenuOrder function to organize menu entries in the tray icon.

Maybe, but that would mean additional configuration page(s), something I don't want to add.

Also, that "hide/show" doesn't make much sense - you can already click the tray icon with the left button and get the menu with the session list from which you can select the contact you want. This menu is sorted, so that the most recent event is always the bottommost.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 11, 2005, 00:36:44
Yeah... I was gonna ask if there is any way that TabSRMM can support clist_mw's MenuOrder function to organize menu entries in the tray icon.

Maybe, but that would mean additional configuration page(s), something I don't want to add.
I don't think it's necessary... clist_mw handles it alone (see the attachment). Well... the main reason I'm using clist_mw is because the menuorder function = no more mess in the menus.

Also, that "hide/show" doesn't make much sense - you can already click the tray icon with the left button and get the menu with the session list from which you can select the contact you want. This menu is sorted, so that the most recent event is always the bottommost.
... heh, you are right. Maybe I think too much complicatedly :D
__
May 11, 2005, 05:02:06
Is it not possible to use Miranda's own tray icon? To add it, these new TabSRMM options instead of having a floater or an extra tray icon...?
May 11, 2005, 05:14:06
Is it not possible to use Miranda's own tray icon? To add it, these new TabSRMM options instead of having a floater or an extra tray icon...?

No.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 11, 2005, 07:33:42
would you consider adding those menus to TopToolBar (just like NewNR and micqBirthday)
it's just a nice addition
May 11, 2005, 12:59:23
would you consider adding those menus to TopToolBar (just like NewNR and micqBirthday)
it's just a nice addition

Added 2 TTB buttons (one opens the session list, the other one the tray menu). Icons are taken from tabSRMM, but toptoolbar allows customization anyway. Both buttons need only a single icon (for "released" state, because these buttons work like push buttons, not like toggles).

Unfortunately, I cannot test it very much, as the whole clist_mw is very unstable for me right now (crashes on startup, crashes randomly on connect and more).

[edit] Just found out that meta_mw works better right now.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 11, 2005, 13:09:22
thank you! don't worry about testing as this is my field ;)
May 11, 2005, 17:49:52
Hey Alex, maybe you should downgrade to Win 98SE. All *_mw clists work like a charm on it. ;D
</joke>

-TopToolBar crashes on exit on 9x systems (at least on mine). Unusable...
-Tray icon middle mouse click might be the cause of those double tabs showing & crashing that I experienced recently. Remember, I use a Logitech mouse that allows (with a hack from a dedicated tool, of course) setting middle button as double-click, which I did a long time ago.
Maybe the click command is hooked and processed by tabSRMM before (and simultaneously with) being converted to a double-click.
Could anyone else check if this is true? It may work for non-Logitech mice as well (if the driver for that particular HW allows it), but I'm not sure...