YesNoOk

The problem is about translating + spelling errors in some strings (Read 6943 times)

Started by NightFox, October 06, 2009, 18:47:10

The problem is about translating + spelling errors in some strings |
October 06, 2009, 18:47:10
Please make the opportunity to translate the names of the container "default".

Often discussed. NO. It would break stuff if you switch language pack and had the container name translated.

If it's possible extend all the text areas in settings, sometimes translation doesn't fit it, why did you fit some strings to original?

If you give examples, maybe (depends if the size and layout of the dialog allows it).
Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 21:08:32 by Nightwish
Re: The problem is about translating + spelling errors in some strings |
October 07, 2009, 21:57:53
So to translate the name of the container need only outside(visual), inside store as usual in the "default". Or at least give the opportunity to rename the container.

But I already gave examples! You need screenshots?
And why you've edited my post, instead of creating new? There were examples.
October 08, 2009, 01:41:33
So to translate the name of the container need only outside(visual), inside store as usual in the "default". Or at least give the opportunity to rename the container.

Yes, that's done in the last commit. The container name will be translated ONLY for display, so instead of "default" in the title bar you will now see the translated string for "default". The internal name, however, cannot be translated, this would break container assignments.

But I already gave examples! You need screenshots?
And why you've edited my post, instead of creating new? There were examples.

Did I. Sorry, that was not intentionally, I wanted to quote it, not edit and probably hit the wrong button.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
October 08, 2009, 19:43:26
String errors:
If it's possible extend all the text areas in settings, sometimes translation doesn't fit it, why did you fit some strings to original?
I'll tell you exactly this:
In filter's menu extend text titles "Tray" and "Popups".
In container settings in "Tabs and switch bar" item, extend strings "Close button" and "Styled tab".
In settings TabSRMM -> Advanced tweaks: extend "Message send timeout"
October 08, 2009, 19:51:10
String errors:
In settings TabSRMM -> Advanced tweaks: extend "Message send timeout"

I will look into this, but I think that in the container options dialog, there is no space left. The others maybe...
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
October 08, 2009, 19:57:01
October 08, 2009, 20:03:57
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 08, 2009, 21:04:21
Sorry, I read it wrong.  A container also has a space.
Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 21:07:02 by NightFox
October 08, 2009, 21:27:31
Filter:
October 22, 2009, 20:19:13
Untranslated string:
Code:
[The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.]
[is now offline (was online)]
October 24, 2009, 18:32:07
Untranslated string:
Code:
[The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.]
For the last one:

Try
Code:
[is now %s (was %s)]
ist nun %s (war %s)
(the %s are placeholder for the corresponding status modes)

The first one seems to be indeed untranslateable, but since it is just a placeholder text, its content is completly irrelevant anyway, it does not contain any important information that would be important enough to be translated
October 25, 2009, 17:51:58
Untranslated string:
Code:

Won't be translated, because it's a common standard phrase :) Nobody NEEDS to understand that text, because it's only there to show the layout. The text itself doesn't make much sense anyway :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 25, 2009, 17:53:42
[is now %s (was %s)]
ist nun %s (war %s)[

The first one seems to be indeed untranslateable, but since it is just a placeholder text, its content is completly irrelevant anyway, it does not contain any important information that would be important enough to be translated

Hm, both _should_ be translatable, if they are not, then it is a bug and should be fixed.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 26, 2009, 10:21:48
[is now %s (was %s)]
ist nun %s (war %s)[

Hm, both _should_ be translatable, if they are not, then it is a bug and should be fixed.
[is now %s (was %s)] is perpectly translateable, no bug there.. (the %s is translated as well)

And the "first one" (the "The quick brown fox ..") is not , but I agree with you that it does not need to (but it would be nice to have ;) )

onother translation thing: could you make the dropdown below the "ESC key behaviour" option full-width?
October 29, 2009, 15:27:19
Nightwish, 
I, for example, like the fullest translate. Is it so difficult to do translatable?
October 29, 2009, 18:28:02
Nightwish, 
I, for example, like the fullest translate. Is it so difficult to do translatable?

No just useless and writing useless code is a bad idea. Don't do it.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
November 17, 2009, 09:28:27
Nightwish: could you make the dropdown below the "ESC key behaviour" option full-width?

RESOLVED!
Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 17:24:21 by FREAK_THEMIGHTY
March 31, 2010, 16:29:24
Another unclear things on the toolbar configuration options:

Can you change the following texts:

[Show this button in regular window] into [Show this button in single-chat windows]
[Show this button in chat window] into [Show this button in group-chat windows]

The difference between "regular window" and "chat window" is not exactly obvious :)

RESOLVED!
Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 17:05:03 by FREAK_THEMIGHTY
May 29, 2010, 08:43:01
Can you change the contact's messaging preferences like on this screen? (the "Icons" section)

RESOLVED!
Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 17:04:51 by FREAK_THEMIGHTY
June 07, 2010, 15:10:18
Another thing, not translation-related:

There is a typo in the typing notify options page:
"Send typing notifications to the following users when you are typing a message to the them:"
June 19, 2010, 17:04:27
Here is a patch for translation and a picture of an other issue

RESOLVED!

Code:
Index: resource.rc
===================================================================
--- resource.rc (Revision 12016)
+++ resource.rc (Arbeitskopie)
@@ -176,12 +176,12 @@
     COMBOBOX        IDC_SHOWAVATAR,9,169,114,46,CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP
     CONTROL         "Use private splitter position",IDC_PRIVATESPLITTER,
                     "Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,10,187,134,12
-    CONTROL         "Contact is a favorite contact",IDC_ISFAVORITE,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,10,199,131,12
-    CONTROL         "Never close automatically",IDC_NOAUTOCLOSE,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,10,211,131,12
+    CONTROL         "Contact is a favorite contact",IDC_ISFAVORITE,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,10,199,260,12
+    CONTROL         "Never close automatically",IDC_NOAUTOCLOSE,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,10,211,260,12
     CONTROL         "Force ANSI send / receive",IDC_FORCEANSI,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,145,130,126,12
     CONTROL         "Ignore sending timeouts",IDC_IGNORETIMEOUTS,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,145,142,126,12
     CONTROL         "Load only actual history",IDC_LOADONLYACTUAL,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,145,154,126,12
-    CONTROL         "Always trim message log to",IDC_ALWAYSTRIM2,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,145,168,105,12
+    CONTROL         "Always trim message log to",IDC_ALWAYSTRIM2,"Button",BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_TABSTOP,145,168,126,12
     LTEXT           "Contact time zone",IDC_STATIC,12,230,210,9
     COMBOBOX        IDC_TIMEZONE,9,241,255,46,CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP
     EDITTEXT        IDC_TRIM,156,184,33,12,ES_RIGHT | ES_NUMBER | WS_DISABLED
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:35:17 by FREAK_THEMIGHTY
June 19, 2010, 17:59:10
__
My SMF-based forum fork
June 19, 2010, 20:48:34

No problem at all. Change the translation to make it fit, sorry, no other solution. The space below that option is already reserved for other things, so basically, the page is full and the autohide option MUST fit into one line.
Okay, I already did it as above, but it looks not good :( Anyway, not such a big issue

IDC_NOAUTOCLOSE can be removed as it doesn't serve any purpose any longer.
Okay then.. the problematic part is the "Always trim message log to" string, that needs more space
Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 20:51:10 by FREAK_THEMIGHTY
June 25, 2010, 12:34:20
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:43:58 by FREAK_THEMIGHTY
June 25, 2010, 15:46:36
Nightwish, I need more space for the "Always trim message log to" option:

All dialogs except the main options dialog will be reworked for more translation space anyway. For the container options dialog, this is complete, the others will follow.
__
My SMF-based forum fork