YesNoOk
  1. Welcome!
    EosAlpha BBS is a fork of the popular Simple Machines Forum software. We aim at creating a new forum software, adding several new features and a modern and fresh design on top of the existing SMF code base.

This software is currently in an early stage of development and this forum acts primarily as a testing platform for the ongoing development.

Feel free to look around to get an idea about how it feels and looks.

Feature The Like system (Read 3411 times)

Started by Nightwish, August 01, 2011, 15:44:33
Share this topic:
The Like system |
August 01, 2011, 15:44:33
The like system

The like system is some kind of easy to use reputation system integrated into the forum core. Each post can be "liked" by any registered user who has the permission to use the like system. Likes are counted on a per post and a per user basis and the most recent likes are printed at the bottom of the post.

Technical facts
  • Very little impact on performance. The system uses a cache to avoid excessive recalculation of like statistics when viewing a topic. The cache entry for a post is only rebuilt when the post receives a new like. Cache entries are built on demand and no modifications to the messages table are necessary.
  • Integrated into the permission system. The permission to see and/or give likes are working like any other board permission and can be set on a per board and per user group basis. Guests cannot give likes at all but may be granted the permission to view them.
  • AJAX - enabled. Liking a post does not require the page to be reloaded. For users browsing the forums without JavaScript, a fallback operation that works without Ajax is available. (Note: not yet implemented)
  • for each user, the number of likes he gave and the number of likes he received for his posts are counted in his profile. It can be used to generate statistics like, for example, the ratio between posts made and likes received.
The like system is an alternative to the default karma system in SMF but does not affect it in any way. Giving karma is still available and might be used together with the like system. In topic view, only the 4 most recent likes for a post are printed below the message, but if there are more than four, a link that allows to view all likes is available. This looks pretty much like on Facebook:

You, Foo, Bar, MrCool and 21 others like this.

If you did like a post, the "You" will always be printed, regardless how many more recent likes do exist for the post.

Todo

+ Implement the like history for a post
+ Integrate the entire system into the planned profile overhaul and notifications system.
+ support different content types (right now, only posts can be liked).
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
3 Like It 
Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 14:06:46 by Nightwish
Re: The Like system |
August 15, 2011, 16:04:15
This is a great idea!

I tried to make one of my forums look like this with all these features but wasn't able to... Got this error:

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_welcome in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 109

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_writable in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 110

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_databaseset in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 111

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_forum in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 112

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_databasechange in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 113

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_admin in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 114

Notice: Undefined index: install_step_delete in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 115

Notice: Undefined index: install_welcome in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 405

Notice: Undefined index: error_already_installed in /home/globeisp/public_html/theclasses.info/install.php on line 431

What am I doing wrong? or what should I do with the respiratory... Like, how do I install it?

Thanks Miranda! or whatever your name is :)
1 Like It 
August 15, 2011, 16:49:55
No idea what you were trying to install, but lets just say, that you cannot install this yet. There isn't even a download available for it and you simply cannot take the code from github and use it. The installer hasn't been updated, so the only way to (theoretically) use this is:

a) Install a normal SMF
b) manually perform all the database changes
c) Overwrite all default smf files.

This should work (though I did not yet test it), but you really need to know how to create and alter database tables in MySQL, manually insert settings and so on.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
2 Like It 
July 02, 2012, 12:05:40
The like system has been ovehauled and converted into a more flexible post rating system.

More info here.
__
My SMF-based forum fork