YesNoOk

Status message overwrites Avatar (Read 2806 times)

Started by Tigerix, February 16, 2007, 13:04:43

Status message overwrites Avatar |
February 16, 2007, 13:04:43
Hi,

I have just noticed, that if I use a font smaller than 8 for the status message (2nd line in clist) that clist-nicer isnt able to calculate the text length correctly. In fact the text blends over the avatar (on the right side).

Is there a way of fixing that, or is this a problem, because fonts smaller 8 are not appearing in the font dialog list (I am using 7 for example - written in the size box and then enter)?
Re: Status message overwrites Avatar |
February 16, 2007, 13:52:01
Is there a way of fixing that, or is this a problem, because fonts smaller 8 are not appearing in the font dialog list (I am using 7 for example - written in the size box and then enter)?

The only way to fix this is to use a font which supports such small sizes. There is a reason why 7 isn't listed and this is because Windows cannot calculate font metrics properly for such a size.

So it isn't a bug in the clist for sure. Another possible workaround is to use a font with a smaller "natural" size. E.g. Calibri (one of the vista fonts) always appears smaller than Tahoma - 8pt Calibri looks like 7 point Tahoma.

Also, only real TrueType/OpenType fonts should be used. Some older Windows fonts (MS Sans Serif for example) is not a TrueType font and will also cause problems.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 13:55:48 by Nightwish
February 16, 2007, 15:04:17
EDIT:
Thanks for your detailed answer.
I have tried to use MS Serif because it lets me use a font size of 7.
But unfortunately it also has the issue described before :(

One other question: When I choose MS Sans Serif for the group names, then the last characters of the group gets hidden: "Gro..."
I cant find a reason, because there is enough space for the group name. With Tahoma I dont have this problem. Any idea?
Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 15:20:57 by Tigerix
February 16, 2007, 19:33:55
One other question: When I choose MS Sans Serif for the group names, then the last characters of the group gets hidden: "Gro..."
I cant find a reason, because there is enough space for the group name. With Tahoma I dont have this problem. Any idea?

Same reason. Windows does not properly calculate text metrics for non-truetype fonts. No way around other than writing a full textrenderer from scratch (but thats WAY out of scope for a contact list, so it won't happen).
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork