YesNoOk

status icons missing at startup (Read 2649 times)

Started by dreamz, November 06, 2007, 15:18:33

status icons missing at startup |
November 06, 2007, 15:18:33
i just switched to clist_nicer+ hoping for a more flexible contact list and i have been extremely pleased with the completeness of the plugin. thanks, nightwish!

the only question i have concerns status icons. i've set my icons by going to customize > icons > status icons > [network] > load icon set, and then selecting an older icon set i used with clist_classic (although i've also tried the protocol icons that come packaged with miranda).

but whenever i restart miranda, my icons disappear from the contact list. i can see they're still selected in the options dialog, but i have to re-select them in order to bring them back.

any ideas? thanks!
Re: status icons missing at startup |
November 08, 2007, 00:58:39
ok, i just did some testing.

i created a clean profile (took a few hours!) and reshacked the protocol dll files with the icons i wanted to use. when i restarted miranda, the status icons failed to appear.

then i restored the unmodified dll files and miranda had no problem loading the icons.

apparently, there's some sort of issue with my dll files. any ideas?
Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:01:26 by dreamz
November 08, 2007, 06:44:48
Are you using Vista?

The only thing I can imagine is that reshacker ruins the icon DLLs. There isn't any problem with them - the only known thing is that, under Vista, certain resource DLL formats do no longer work. Such Icon DLLs will result in missing icons.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
November 08, 2007, 14:16:01
Are you using Vista?

The only thing I can imagine is that reshacker ruins the icon DLLs. There isn't any problem with them - the only known thing is that, under Vista, certain resource DLL formats do no longer work. Such Icon DLLs will result in missing icons.
no, i'm using xp.

but after a few hours of testing, i figured out the problem. any area in the icon that uses 255 255 255 (pure white) as the color will end up completely transparent (or somehow missing).

is that normal? is this a setting i can change?
November 08, 2007, 14:18:53
no, i'm using xp.

but after a few hours of testing, i figured out the problem. any area in the icon that uses 255 255 255 (pure white) as the color will end up completely transparent (or somehow missing).

That must be a problem with the icon itself - in 32bit RGBA format, 255 (for the alpha channel) means a completely transparent pixel, yes. A white pixel must still have an alpha value of 0 to appear white.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
November 08, 2007, 14:29:48
no, i'm using xp.

That must be a problem with the icon itself - in 32bit RGBA format, 255 (for the alpha channel) means a completely transparent pixel, yes. A white pixel must still have an alpha value of 0 to appear white.
that explains a lot!

here's how i created the icon.

1. in mspaint, i began with a 16x16 canvas and created the icon, then saved it as a png.
2. i opened the png in icon sushi (http://www.towofu.net/soft/e-aicon.php) and used the transparency tool to add transparency. i did NOT add transparency to the areas i had designated as 255 255 255.
3. finally, i saved the png as an ico file.

what should i do differently?

edit: i got it. i saved the icon as a 24-bit bitmap and then used icon sushi to create the icon without any issue. if i had only known about this transparency issue earlier!

thank you, nightwish, for the insight. much appreciated. :)
Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 14:56:29 by dreamz