YesNoOk

Send button (Read 1858 times)

Started by NightFox, October 08, 2009, 21:11:39

Send button |
October 08, 2009, 21:11:39
Make the send button to be always active, at least so you could open menu of dropdown.
Re: Send button |
October 08, 2009, 21:13:14
Use the hotkey, ctrl-s is default for the sendmenu when the button is not active.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
October 08, 2009, 21:16:19
This is not usefull.
Do you understand termin, like usability?
Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 21:20:56 by NightFox
October 08, 2009, 21:32:34
Or can you do so that if input area is clear,  the send button simply opens the menu?
October 08, 2009, 23:43:54
This is not usefull.
Do you understand termin, like usability?

Yes, I do, probably better than you may think :)

Adding 10 million options and features like you propose has NOTHING to do with usability. It's exactly the opposite.

The goal for tabSRMM v3 has been made clear: Less options and maybe even less features than V2. Adding so much stuff to tabsrmm was probably the biggest mistake I made and I'am now in the process of correcting that mistake. This is, however, far from being complete so you should better wait for tabSRMM 3 becoming more complete - most of the new features are NOT complete yet (this applies to the info panel, the side bar and most other things).

Oh, and one point about usability: Inactive or unavailable UI elements should be not accessible or disabled, that's a basic rule. So making the send button active when there is NO message to send would be very bad usability.

The "send menu" is on the kill list anyway, because most of its options can be toggled by hotkeys easier than with that annoying little button.

Messaging is a keyboard - centric task, so offering hotkeys for various features is contributing a lot to usability. Furthermore, the send menu items are only interesting for advanced users, most of them do not have problems with keyboard shortcuts.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
October 22, 2009, 20:05:41
What about dynamic displaying? Why can't the Send button display needed functions depending on situation?
October 25, 2009, 17:50:03
What about dynamic displaying? Why can't the Send button display needed functions depending on situation?
The send button will stay as it is. There will be a solution for the send menu though (but I currently do not exactly know how it will look like).
__
My SMF-based forum fork