YesNoOk

Regarding clist_nicer+ development (Read 5841 times)

Started by Nightwish, August 01, 2006, 19:04:15

Share this topic:
Regarding clist_nicer+ development |
August 01, 2006, 19:04:15
I came to the conclusion that clist_nicer+ has come to a point where developing it further does no longer make sense. There are too many fundamental problems in the code, most of them having their roots in the old codebase - you know, like any other clist it is based on clist_classic with elements merged from clist_mw.

What this means for clist_nicer development is quite simple:

No feature requests. I'll most likely ignore them silently. I may or may not complete some stuff which is already done (like the image based skinning engine) and fix their most annoying problems, but that's about it.

Serious bugs will be fixed (like crashes, leaks etc.), smaller glitches which can be avoided by configuring the plugin properly will be filed away as known issues.

The plugin isn't exactly dead, but from now on, I won't invest more time than absolutely necessary into it.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Re: Regarding clist_nicer+ development |
August 01, 2006, 19:29:31
Does this mean that you will use freed time on tabsrmm development? Or just spare it on other problems in RL? :)
__
- It's hot as hell in here.
- You see it too? For me, it's always like this.
August 02, 2006, 00:33:23
I came to the conclusion that clist_nicer+ has come to a point where developing it further does no longer make sense. There are too many fundamental problems in the code, most of them having their roots in the old codebase - you know, like any other clist it is based on clist_classic with elements merged from clist_mw.

[...]

The plugin isn't exactly dead, but from now on, I won't invest more time than absolutely necessary into it.

But what do you suggest as an alternative? Using clist_classic or do you recommend to use clist_modern? Or do you think that you will support clist_nicer enough in the future that people can count on it?

Personally, I don't need any new features. In fact, I just use clist_nicer to display the xstatus icons in the contact list (and additionaly - only while I'm at it - the client icons). I disabled all those "frames" to make it look absolutely like clist_classic except for the xstatus icons. That's why clist_modern is no alternative to me. I want my programs to use the native Windows interface. Otherwise I could almost use the original ICQ client if it didn't have these annoying ads. ;)

So, - from the user's point of view - is it worthwhile to continue using clist_nicer?
Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 00:35:44 by Hancoque
August 02, 2006, 00:59:25
But what do you suggest as an alternative? Using clist_classic or do you recommend to use clist_modern? Or do you think that you will support clist_nicer enough in the future that people can count on it?
I would say, use whatever you want and whatever fits your needs best.

Clist nicer is pretty stable as of now. There are no serious bugs (at least no crash or similar problems which can really hurt) and some of the minor bugs may be fixed as long as it isn't too much work and doesn't make it necessary to rewrite bigger parts of the plugin to get a problem fixed (one example would be the configureable menu ordering system - that probably won't ever be fully fixed, because that's not possible without rewriting it completely).

clist_nicer is a good alternative to clist_classic or clist_mw. It has more features and decent skinning, but cannot do all the spectacular effects clist_modern can do. On the other hand - its faster

So, - from the user's point of view - is it worthwhile to continue using clist_nicer?

I think it is. It's not completely dead. There will be a new release every once in a while to fix some small issues and to improve a few things. Basically, clist_nicer is the contact list I use for my own needs and when I find something which really disturbs me then I will most likely change it. But these changes will only be small, I don't need any new feature in a clist and that's why people should consider clist_nicer+ "feature complete" and not expect any new and exciting stuff :)
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
August 02, 2006, 01:33:25
Well, then I finally have all missing parts together for a new release of my Miranda compilation. :)