YesNoOk

Please return the floating icon back (Read 2926 times)

Started by Le()niD, September 06, 2010, 13:44:57

Please return the floating icon back |
September 06, 2010, 13:44:57
Hello.
I've recently updated to miranda 0.9 release from my older 0.8 release and of cource have updated tabSRMM to 0.3 build
Right now I have one major disadvantage for me. It is the missing floating window (Actually I don't know how it is called in english)
Let me show - attachment 1

Now I have only one option in Event Notifications - Enable system tray icon (attachment 2)
Could you please return that feature back?
It was really useful for me when I was working via RDP and have one small icon above every window that notifies me about incomming messages
Also it was really easy to look for the recently closed sessions and to re-open then.

Thank you
Re: Please return the floating icon back |
September 06, 2010, 13:47:29
Sorry, no removed feature will come back. I carefully considered which features were to remove and I only removed those who are either mostly useless or not really well implemented.

The floater was in category 1 because it was totally redundant. All its functionality can be achieved by other means.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
September 06, 2010, 13:54:44
But we still have that feature in system tray
It's totally the same, why it is so difficult to make it "float".

The floater was in category 1 because it was totally redundant. All its functionality can be achieved by other means.

Could you please provide me with almost one click (ok, it's 2 clicks to open the window I need) "means" to show the last opened tabs?

September 06, 2010, 14:03:52
Could you please provide me with almost one click (ok, it's 2 clicks to open the window I need) "means" to show the last opened tabs?

Tray icon does exactly the same what the floater did.

Or you could use the global keyboard shortcut (it will recall the last open message window and if there are unread tabs, it will cycle through them in reverse order - if you want it for closed windows, enable the "hide on close" option and you get the last open container by just pressing Ctrl-Shift-R (default hotkey, can be customized, of course).
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
September 07, 2010, 15:45:33
Tray icon does exactly the same what the floater did.

Or you could use the global keyboard shortcut (it will recall the last open message window and if there are unread tabs, it will cycle through them in reverse order - if you want it for closed windows, enable the "hide on close" option and you get the last open container by just pressing Ctrl-Shift-R (default hotkey, can be customized, of course).

The point is that that icon WAS in front of an Microsoft RDP window in fullscreen mode. I cannot use any keys which belongs to miranda while I'm using the RDP in full-screen for my working purposes. That is the point.
Actually I think you could totally agree that re-opening pages is not a good way if I would like to open, for example, a sixth person from above in that recent sections.
I don't need that "awesome Aero features" there (of course thank you for implementing them). My miranda and TabSrmm skin were looking great in Windows 7. (You can still see the screenshot in first post here)
I just want a useful tool which can fulfill all my needs. And before that third tabsrmm release miranda and tabsrmm completely satisfied me, but not now  anymore. :-\

I just can't understand if you decided to preserve that icon, with all it's as you said "redundant" features. Why did you remove the floater? I didn't have any issues with it for ages of using Miranda.

P.S. Could you prepare a "mod" for me with that redundant feature? So I could continue to use my tiny miranda and to continue to work effectively without re-opening pages using one more "hot key"

Sincerely
Leonid
September 07, 2010, 23:42:18
I just can't understand if you decided to preserve that icon, with all it's as you said "redundant" features. Why did you remove the floater? I didn't have any issues with it for ages of using Miranda.

But many others had issues with it. In 5 years of its existence, I did not receive ONE positive comment about the floater, nobody ever stated that it was a useful feature, but people had issues, asking "what the f*ck is this and how can I get rid of it?" after they had enabled it unintentionally.

So I considered it a useless feature, adding just bloat and such features are on top of the list of things that shall be removed, especially when its functionality is not important enough to justify its existence.

P.S. Could you prepare a "mod" for me with that redundant feature? So I could continue to use my tiny miranda and to continue to work effectively without re-opening pages using one more "hot key"

No sorry. The code is completely gone and I'm not a friend of mods, in general. They are usually creating supporting issues when there are multiple versions of the same program with different features.

If it's only about notifications - there are other possibilities. Popups should work with RDP (unless you enable fullscreen detection in Popup+) and the event area frame of clist_nicer or clist_modern should work too (if you put it into floating mode, it will act like the floater in TabSRMM - stay on top all the time and new events will show up in the frame.

What I had in mind as a replacement for the floater was a contact list frame for TabSRMM which would allow you to access recently used sessions, favorites and open windows. Users are generally familiar with contact list frames and know how to use them.

It didn't make it into 3.0 unfortunately.
__
My SMF-based forum fork