YesNoOk

NiftyWindows (Read 10110 times)

Started by Nightwish, March 28, 2005, 14:53:29

Share this topic:
NiftyWindows |
March 28, 2005, 14:53:29
I wanted to post that for quite some time, but for some reason, I missed it.. :)

It's about NiftyWindows, a small, but powerful and free tool for adding mouse gestures for some common tasks like resizing and arranging Windows on your desktop. It was developed by another Miranda (and tabSRMM) user, who asked me to post that on my site...

It's pretty cool once you get used to it's (quite a lot) of shortcuts.

http://www.enovatic.org/products/niftywindows/
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Re: NiftyWindows |
March 28, 2005, 16:14:41
How does it stack up with StrokeIt? Could I use both? I guess I'll just have to try...
March 28, 2005, 23:49:48
Wow, quite useful!

Did a little test, and was suprised by its ease of use and possibilities. Only thing that doesn't work properly is closing my cd-rom/dvd-drives.

Thanks for the note. :)
March 29, 2005, 15:48:40
March 29, 2005, 23:58:00
StrokeIt is pretty cool too, and way more customizable. But for me, Nifty does everything I need - the resizing/window manipulation features, roll up/down and the quick task switcher (RMB + wheel) are pretty useful.

The only thing I miss is a taskswitch replacement - I would prefer a simple tasklist instead of the alt-tab style switcher.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
March 31, 2005, 04:15:33
Thanks for pointing out NiftyWindows!  What a nice little application that is.
March 31, 2005, 13:06:51
Anyone else having problems moving/resizing Firefox and regular folder windows (explorer.exe)?
March 31, 2005, 13:19:12
Anyone else having problems moving/resizing Firefox and regular folder windows (explorer.exe)?
With some windows, you have to use "forced" mode (hold down CTRL). I don't see that in Firefox, but maybe it's because I'am using a trunk build (nightly) of FF - I remember, that with FF 1.0, I had to use forced mode in NiftyWindows.

Explorer windows need forced mode aswell.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
March 31, 2005, 13:37:43
I decided to do without NiftyWindows after trying to (right click) drag-and-drop a file in Explorer, only to have the whole window move instead.  I know I can exclude this and that application, but that's the sort of thing that turns me off...  Still a nice little util though.
April 01, 2005, 13:35:14
Have you seen WinMover ? another little program for moving and resizing windows ...
You can configure the hotkeys for each action and have it start when you log in.
I started using this after i got used to the linux way of handling windows :)
Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 14:00:38 by eblis
April 01, 2005, 22:20:07
Right, there's that too! I remember trying that out a long while ago, wonder why I stopped using it. Must be something wrong with it or some conflict with StrokeIt maybe... Hmm :o
April 02, 2005, 22:01:23
Thank you!  I installed WinMover, and it fits the bill exactly.  It took some screwing around to find key combos that didn't mess things up, but it's all squared away now.
April 04, 2005, 09:52:09
The only thing I miss is a taskswitch replacement - I would prefer a simple tasklist instead of the alt-tab style switcher.

TasksSwitchXP works great for me. It's pretty much costumizable and seems to work well with NiftyWindows. I recomend  using version 2.0 beta 4.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/taskswitchxp/

NiftyWindows seems to be quite nifty indeed, but i would preffer if it wouldn't show the baloon tooltip at startup because it is a bit annoing. Having a way of mapping niftywindows functions to my own choice of buttons+keys combinations would also be nice...