YesNoOk

NewEventNotify / popup solution (Read 30649 times)

Started by Nightwish, April 20, 2005, 08:13:45

Re: NewEventNotify / popup solution |
April 26, 2005, 19:26:37
Hmm... Is "Show popups when status is..." really needed...? Popup plugin itself has already this function... Is this option going to override Popup plugin's settings...?

EDIT:
Few things:
1. a list of all favourite contacts in the dropdown button on the toolbar under "Favourites" would be nice... something like:

Add contact to Favorites (BTW: I think there is a typo - should be "Favourites", shouldn't it...?)
Remove contact from Favorites
---------------------------------------
First Favourite contact
Second Favourite contact

clicking on that favourite contacts should open new tab/window...

2. Could the tray icon not show if there are no open containers...?

3. Bug: looks like the setting "Do not popup if message window already open" (or whatever it is called) doesn't work if it is unchecked... I should see popups but I don't...
BTW: if that option is checked and the container is minimised to the tray it is considered as open and therefore the popup doesn't show... would it be possible to show a popup when the window is minimised to the tray...?
EDIT2:
Ok... seems like it works as I want it to by unchecking that option... (popups when minimised to tray...) sorry for bugging... :)

4. The "Limit Messages preview" is too long and sometimes hovers over the other control - see the attachment...
Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 20:11:11 by nowotny
April 26, 2005, 19:45:32
Hmm... Is "Show popups when status is..." really needed...? Popup plugin itself has already this function... Is this option going to override Popup plugin's settings...?
It's not needed. You can ignore the settings and leave it to "All". In that case, popups own settings will be in effect. The settings don't overwrite, they more likely add. You can tell popup to never show popups when you are N/A for example, and additionally tell tabsrmm to never show popups when you're dnd (you may still want to see other popups in that mode).

Anyway, as long as you leave it at "All", that setting has absolutely no effect.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
April 26, 2005, 19:56:36
wrong writing ... in my event stands sbow and not show
April 26, 2005, 20:04:23
Anyway, as long as you leave it at "All", that setting has absolutely no effect.
Ok... thanks for explanation... I edited my previous post, you may want to check it out...

Good work BTW... I like these new features...
April 26, 2005, 20:19:30
Add contact to Favorites (BTW: I think there is a typo - should be "Favourites", shouldn't it...?)
Remove contact from Favorites

Favourites and recent menus may appear elsewhere - i think, they should be available w/o the tray icon. I just need to find a place for them. Adding them to another menu is not so easy, since these menus are dynamically updated

A good place for the recent menu would be the "File" on the menu bar, as this is common standard for the "Open recent" feature...

2. Could the tray icon not show if there are no open containers...?

By changing the icon, maybe.

3. Bug: looks like the setting "Do not popup if message window already open" (or whatever it is called) doesn't work if it is unchecked... I should see popups but I don't...
BTW: if that option is checked and the container is minimised to the tray it is considered as open and therefore the popup doesn't show... would it be possible to show a popup when the window is minimised to the tray...?
EDIT2:
Ok... seems like it works as I want it to by unchecking that option... (popups when minimised to tray...) sorry for bugging... :)

The previous "per container" popup modes are still working, but "Don't show popups when a window is already open" overrides it. I think, this option may be obsolete - it's still kept from NewEventNotify. No popups for open windows should be standard, and anyway, but in a few special cases it may make sense to show popups for minimized and/or unfocused windows (already possible).

Containers in the tray are treated as "minimized", so if you have enabled popups for minimized containers, they should show.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
April 26, 2005, 21:45:11

oh no pleaseĀ  don't change it to Favourites
Favourites is the British way for writing that, Favorites is the American way (the way the Favorites menu is spelled), the way Microsoft is using it except for some special British version maybe.
when i write Favourites, IeSpell is even offering to correct it to Favorites :)

post edited, thanks eblis :)
Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:46:07 by PROGAME
April 27, 2005, 00:35:01
Hi Nightwish.
I immediately started using the new grouping method (I'm very thankful for it) but there is one thing I actually don't like here.

This is all right:

This is wrong:

You see? I miss the "0" (zero) in the timestamp (the second line was written at 2 AM). That way the text-indent doesn't work well. (wasn't there a zero in previous releases?)

BTW: I don't want to repeat myself but you still didn't tell me anything about this:
(maybe you didn't see it in the post because I added it to the previous post a little later)

Code:
        Also, a very comprehensive system tray support has been added.
When double-clicking the tray-icon, the container is supposed to appear. It does, but the tray-menu (with the list of opened tabs) appears too.
The tray-icon name (tooltip) should be added too so I can set the Windows XP taskbar to "Always show" (or Hide when inactive) the tray icon. Without the name it's impossible - after the restart the setting is gone.

Thank you.
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D
April 27, 2005, 01:05:23
Hi Nightwish.
I immediately started using the new grouping method (I'm very thankful for it) but there is one thing I actually don't like here.

I suggest, you immediately forget the old message log and look here: http://hell.at.eu.org/forums/index.php/topic,610.0.html

You see? I miss the "0" (zero) in the timestamp (the second line was written at 2 AM). That way the text-indent doesn't work well. (wasn't there a zero in previous releases?)

The zero depends on your local settings (time formatting options).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 27, 2005, 07:28:24

oh no pleaseĀ  don't change it to Favourites
Favorites is the British way for writing that, Favorites is the American way (the way the Favorites menu is spelled), the way Microsoft is using it except for some special British version maybe.
when i write Favorites, IeSpell is even offering to correct it to Favorites :)

Isn't it the other way around ? :)
Favourites for british english and favorites for american english. Just like neighbour/neighbor and some others i can't remember right now :(
EDIT1: just remembered another one: colour/color

EDIT2: Just realized i mis-read your post, i read Favorites for british (you forgot the 'u' and that's what started the whole thing :) ) and Favorites for american (i read it Favourites :( silly me).
Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:39:43 by eblis
April 27, 2005, 07:47:45
thanks i edited my post, it really was a mess :)
i think i accidentally let my IeSpell correct some of the "favourites"
April 28, 2005, 06:39:00
When double-clicking the tray-icon, the container is supposed to appear. It does, but the tray-menu (with the list of opened tabs) appears too.

Yes, because that's a windows restriction and there is no way around it. The next version will recognize a middle mouse button click as alternative to the double click, with the advantage that the menu won't show and the container will not loose focus because of the double click.

Ever asked yourself, why the system volume control in the tray acts a bit strange? There is a reason, why it delays the single click action and shows the double click action immediatly. The tray cannot distinguish between single and double clicks - the only way around is to set a timer and wait on single click events. I could do it, but I don't like the idea - it's just annyoing to wait for the session menu (which, in my opinion, is more important than the double click action).

The tray-icon name (tooltip) should be added too so I can set the Windows XP taskbar to "Always show" (or Hide when inactive) the tray icon. Without the name it's impossible - after the restart the setting is gone.

That has been added.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 08:23:25
now i have a bug ... now with pop up + the pop ups only shown for a second or so ...
and then they go away and the message is away too.
so it isnt shown in contactlist!!!

*EDIT*

Oh sorry now i  found the Time Expires Option .. i think this is it ...
but why stands the pop up only a so short time??
April 28, 2005, 08:41:47
Oh sorry now i  found the Time Expires Option .. i think this is it ...
but why stands the pop up only a so short time??

It stands until the timer expires :) If this setting is low, it goes away quickly. I suggest to read my posting about the release and the various "actions". Don't check "Dismiss Event" unless you really want to mark the event as read when you dismiss the popup (never check this for the timeout action). "Dismiss Popup" is harmless, because it only clears the popup from screen, but "Dismiss Event" will mark the event as read.

This is not buggy behaviour, it works as it should.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 09:09:40
The authorisation requests and the notifications of adding to a contact list show popups "Plugin Test: This is a sample other event"... could this be corrected somehow... I remember original NEN didn't show it that way... I think it comes from Prezes' NEN...

And one more thing: when you restore the container from the tray icon it flashes as if there were new messages while there aren't any...
April 28, 2005, 09:16:06
The authorisation requests and the notifications of adding to a contact list show popups "Plugin Test: This is a sample other event"... could this be corrected somehow... I remember original NEN didn't show it that way... I think it comes from Prezes' NEN...

Probably. I mixed some code from different NeN versions together and added my own. So there may be a few problems...

And one more thing: when you restore the container from the tray icon it flashes as if there were new messages while there aren't any...

It flashes until all tabs with unread messages were focused...
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 09:52:17
Ok... I managed to figure it out... if you doubleclick the tray icon very fast when the container is minimised... the list of containers won't show (or will but for a very short time so it's not visible - I don't really know) but the container will open in the background and the taskbar will flash although there are NO new messages... you can even reproduce it without talking to anyone... just open a container, minimise it and fast doubleclick the tray icon... although this doesn't appear every time... you must click very fast... and sometimes the window gains focus and still flashes...
April 28, 2005, 09:52:48

BTW: Do you remember what old NeN shows for the contacts name in auth requests? I think, it was showing your own nick (which I found always a bit confusing) - maybe it would be better to show the protocol or the UIN (if possible.. no idea).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 09:54:06
Ok... I managed to figure it out... if you doubleclick the tray icon very fast when the container is minimised... the list of containers won't show (or will but for a very short time so it's not visible - I don't really know) but the container will open in the background and the taskbar will flash although there are NO new messages... you can even reproduce it without talking to anyone... just open a container, minimise it and fast doubleclick the tray icon... although this doesn't appear every time... you must click very fast... and sometimes the window gains focus and still flashes...

Yeah.. doubleclick tray interface sucks when you have to handle both single and double clicks. I'am gonna change that (see my other post, regarding the Win 32 sound tray icon - I just don't want to introduce this annoying delay for single clicks).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 10:11:50
when i set my tweakui and easy move before ... it set back the settings for time expires.
April 28, 2005, 11:41:28
BTW: Do you remember what old NeN shows for the contacts name in auth requests? I think, it was showing your own nick (which I found always a bit confusing) - maybe it would be better to show the protocol or the UIN (if possible.. no idea).
Yep... just checked... shows your name...
April 28, 2005, 11:48:01
Yep... just checked... shows your name...

Ok, I have the auth and added popups now working - they show the protocol as title and the actual name of the contact who requested auth...

Something like:

[icon] ICQ
<bla> requested authorization
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 13:05:18
and when will come that nice thing???

;)
April 28, 2005, 13:11:12
__
My SMF-based forum fork
April 28, 2005, 14:08:55
;)
April 28, 2005, 18:43:29
Yes, because that's a windows restriction and there is no way around it. The next version will recognize a middle mouse button click as alternative to the double click, with the advantage that the menu won't show and the container will not loose focus because of the double click.
Middle click is imho fine.

Ever asked yourself, why the system volume control in the tray acts a bit strange? There is a reason, why it delays the single click action and shows the double click action immediatly. The tray cannot distinguish between single and double clicks - the only way around is to set a timer and wait on single click events. I could do it, but I don't like the idea - it's just annyoing to wait for the session menu (which, in my opinion, is more important than the double click action).
Yea, I was wondering about telling you to add this but I also recognised that the delay is maybe more annoying that the focus-lost-thing.

That has been added.
Thank you for this :) The icon is pretty much used anyway so it's not hiding itself (well, didn't happen for me, yet).
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D