YesNoOk

New build of the .95 series is up. (Read 69870 times)

Started by Nightwish, May 20, 2005, 00:46:52

Share this topic:
Re: New build of the .95 series is up. |
May 21, 2005, 08:23:21
May 21, 2005, 09:21:02
When using flat buttons, can you make the tabs a bit closer togheter ?
I think there's too much space inbetween tabs :)
EDIT: If not everyone wants a bit less space between tabs then you could make it a tabsrmm entry in the database, so anyone can change it to suit their needs.

I'm not experiencing the wheel bug anymore, not in the tab row nor with ieview.

The old tooltip/status notify thing for toggle sound notification and toggle typing notification is half fixed :)
Now pressing the typing notify button doesn't change the status bar's text, just like pressing the sounds button; but the typing notify button still doesn't have a tooltip.

EDIT2:
Removed.
Oh my god, stoooopid me :idiot2:

EDIT3: The bug with the log not scrolling to the end is still present.
Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 10:19:21 by eblis
May 21, 2005, 12:12:17
Hi Nightwish!

Well, .95pre5 is much more stable, hope now everythink will work fine.

By right click on tab we have menu to close container and to close tab. They are splitted and situated in different groups. I  suggest you grouping this stuff together.
May 21, 2005, 12:27:16
Odd, my flat tabs do not look like they did before like in the image provided by eblis.
EDIT - They work after I close the container and open a new one. To see what they were looking like see image.

Eblis have you tried
configure tab appearence->tab padding vertical/horizontal?
EDIT - I tried changing these but they did nothing (even after closing/opening new container).

Odd, in the configure tab appearence, the word vertical has dissapeared (it was there a couple seconds ago). It doesn't seem to want to come back. See attached image.
Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 12:33:46 by andrewabc
May 21, 2005, 12:33:26
The word vertical is right near "Tab padding" :D
Tab padding, vertical and horizonal control the space around the text inside the buttons. Try giving them a huge value and see what happens.
Tab margins control the size of the margins for the tabs.
Neither of these can set the space between 2 tab buttons.
May 21, 2005, 12:49:57
It is not in my image I provided. It dissapeared...
Even after I restarted Miranda it is not there. :(

Tab padding, vertical and horizonal control the space around the text inside the buttons. Try giving them a huge value and see what happens.
Your probably right about that. I thought it meant padding between tabs. :)
And that would be a great option. :)
May 21, 2005, 13:19:46
It is not in my image I provided. It dissapeared...
actually it is :)

May 21, 2005, 13:22:26
Oh. Guess I am blind, it is there. Just not aligned correctly. Knew it disappeared from where it was at originally :)
May 21, 2005, 13:50:58
@ eblis & andrewabc:
If you reshack the dll, you'll see there's a single control label for that setting, called "Tab padding vertical".

@ Nightwish:
There's another issue I forgot about, last night. It's inherited from pre4 and it's kinda nasty:
all containers that open WHEN A NEW MESSAGE IS RECEIVED get a badly positioned statusbar-too high (see picture below). If I open a container double-clicking on a contact in the CList, it gets drawn correctly.

Also, tooltips for typing notification are not translatable (unless I did something wrong)

@ eblis: Yes, there are tooltips for typing notification! :D At least in the ANSI version... :P
May 21, 2005, 14:45:08

The space between 2 tab buttons cannot be changed.
The only thing I could do is to "overdraw" the spacing, and make the button appear bigger than it is. But that doesn't make sense as you wont gain any space.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 21, 2005, 14:51:28
BTW why did the tab labels become so huge with the new tab control for me?
what used to look like this
http://img288.echo.cx/img288/6848/temp131kg.jpg
now looks like
http://img270.echo.cx/img270/9493/temp127lt.jpg
(and i liked it better before)

i am not sure whether the 10 chars limit is reflected in the new look

It isn't because the size calculation seems to be based on a different font size than the font used for drawing.

I guess, you've set the menu font that big?
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 21, 2005, 15:16:57
ummm yes that's the same size on the menu
is that a mistake? the menu row hight is dynamic but the tabs shouldn't be used with huge fonts
(and that's not the same size used anywhere else for tabs)
May 21, 2005, 15:37:32
The space between 2 tab buttons cannot be changed.
The only thing I could do is to "overdraw" the spacing, and make the button appear bigger than it is. But that doesn't make sense as you wont gain any space.
No way at all ?   :-[

@drugwash.
I pointed out to andrewabc that there was the text "vertical" in his image via a PM, i didn't want to create another post for that :)
When i mentioned typing notify tooltip i was reffering to the button on the right bottom corner of each container; if you were refering to the same thing then you're lucky, because on the unicode version there are no tooltips yet :)

The global hotkey to show/hide the containers and middle clicking on the tray icon don't work right. They do work right but there seems to be a timer of about 1 second before the action can be triggered again. Is this intentional ?
May 21, 2005, 16:09:23
No way at all ?   :-[

No way at all with the current status of the tab control. It is heavily subclassed (all the painting and some other things), but the core layouting of the tab rows is still handled by the default window procedure.

The global hotkey to show/hide the containers and middle clicking on the tray icon don't work right. They do work right but there seems to be a timer of about 1 second before the action can be triggered again. Is this intentional ?

It is to test for a possible race condition (the thing with double tabs when middle clicking).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 21, 2005, 16:22:37
@ eblis:
look here...

eblis said:
I pointed out to andrewabc that there was the text "vertical" in his image via a PM, i didn't want to create another post for that.
I've been late all my life, even at my own birth... There's no wonder I dropped by after you "enlightened" the man... :)

@ Nightwish:
-highlighting works correctly now with both normal and flat tabs
-no more invisible first tab
-tooltips for typing notification show correctly (ANSI version - see picture above)
-"Select font color" button now works

-"Hot Track (mouse over)" control still short
-Pulldown menu and characters counter in the statusbar would need tooltips (pulldown menu icon is barely visible and the counters give no clue about the first number)
May 21, 2005, 16:29:31
Ok, here I go...

I made a simple (hehe :)) animation showing what's happening when I'm opening tabs one after another. And I... wonder... what's going on :) The animation is in the attachment... AFAIK, when a new tab is created *and* there is not enough free space in the first row, it is positioned on the second row... and now what I think is strange - why are some *other* tabs moved to the second row... so after that, there are 3 for example. There is also no space between the tabs moved to the second row.

And a little feature request: Any way to edit the "border" color of the flat tab? Or is this color taken from the windows skin? I don't like the black border :-\ Can you please add it? (if it's even possible)
__
;D Sorry for my English ;D
May 21, 2005, 16:41:57
It is to test for a possible race condition (the thing with double tabs when middle clicking).
That reminds me, this bug is still present in the .pre5 build :)
It only happens if you middle click the tray icon, the hotkey works fine.
And i found what's causing the bug ;D The balloon tooltip is recieving the mouse click and the tray icon is recieving it as well, so that's why 2 tabs are created :)
(the bug is gone if i disable balloon tooltips)

The "Announce events with" combobox is of type dropdown, shouldn't it be drop list ?

"Announce events of type..."
Message events are unchecked and url, file and other are checked. "Announce events with" is set to balloon tooltips.
Now, when i recieve a first message from someone i get the balloon tooltip with the message although it's disabled. I don't get a balloon tooltip (nor do i get a popup if i set the announce method to popups) for other types (url, file, other). For file events i do get the file tray icon instead of miranda's icon but shouldn't i get a popup (or balloon tooltip) as well ?

EDIT:
Nevermind, i enabled some of the checkboxes in "Popup configuration" and now i recieve popups :)

EDIT2:
I'm getting message events even though the checkbox for them is disabled.
Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 17:04:51 by eblis
May 21, 2005, 16:46:17
edit: oops, i'm running an older build, will have to see if bugs are still there. sorry
Meep - bugs fixed.

Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 16:51:49 by drone
May 21, 2005, 17:20:00
Well, I compleatly agree with Koki's request  concerning flat button's border color.
Plus is it possible, not only to select a wallpaper for the input text area (in the main window), but just select any RGB color?
May 21, 2005, 17:29:55
Well, I compleatly agree with Koki's request concerning flat button's border color.
Plus is it possible, not only to select a wallpaper for the input text area (in the main window), but just select any RGB color?

Can't this already be done? Under fonts and colours you can select background and input area colour.
May 21, 2005, 18:03:14
Bug 1:

happen when a new tab was created in container with no tabbar.
Bug  2:
when new tab is autocreated status bar disappears in all opened windows.. and appear only when I click on space (input area) where status bar is supposed to be (same bug was in previous build).. then it disappears again when I switch tabs.. etc...in every tab-window...
Bug 3:
when I change window theme, tab headers colors don't change(even if I close/open tab)  until I go in options, uncheck and apply "use windows colours" then check and apply them again..
Bug 4:
tab headers aren't resized to the name width.. (see screen).. Short nicks look ugly on wide tab.
May 21, 2005, 18:10:35
Another bug I noticed recently: I get no more incoming sound in a focused tab. But I get the outgoing one and I also get the sound if the tab becomes unfocused. So it screams when I send a message, but it doesn't when I receive one, which might be frustrating when I'm not always watching the screen for a new reply.
May 21, 2005, 19:53:13
eblis said:
I pointed out to andrewabc that there was the text "vertical" in his image via a PM, i didn't want to create another post for that.
I've been late all my life, even at my own birth... There's no wonder I dropped by after you "enlightened" the man... :)

The fact that it is not aligned properly (it was next to the box, then moved to the far left)  is a bug, right?
May 21, 2005, 19:59:19
Bug 4:

tab headers aren't resized to the name width.. (see screen).. Short nicks look ugly on wide tab.

Not a bug. In single row mode, this is normal, because fixed tab widths are used.

As for the rest. I'll look into them, although I cannot reproduce them.

The last build has an undocumented option which should help to fix some of the redraw errors. It's on the "tabs and layout" page" in the list box

[ ] Force more aggressive window updates
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 20:12:10 by Nightwish
May 21, 2005, 20:57:52
Ok, here I go...

I made a simple (hehe :)) animation showing what's happening when I'm opening tabs one after another. And I... wonder... what's going on :) The animation is in the attachment... AFAIK, when a new tab is created *and* there is not enough free space in the first row, it is positioned on the second row... and now what I think is strange - why are some *other* tabs moved to the second row... so after that, there are 3 for example. There is also no space between the tabs moved to the second row.

That's entirely decided by the tab control layout engine. So, no way to change it.

So far, I wrote only the drawing stuff, anything else is still standard Win32 tab control.

And yes, button tabs don't work well for multiline controls. M$ doesn't recommend to use this combination, so I suggest you switch to single row, or use non-button tabs.
__
My SMF-based forum fork