YesNoOk

Jabber messages are trimmed on sending (newlines, spaces and tabs are removed) (Read 1420 times)

Started by dimag0g, September 21, 2010, 22:50:56

Jabber messages are trimmed on sending (newlines, spaces and tabs are removed) |
September 21, 2010, 22:50:56
Hello,

I believe TabSRMM is responsible for trimming the messages I send - if there are spaces or newlines at the end of the message, they are not sent via Jabber protocol (and maybe other protocols as well). When I use SRMM, Miranda behaves as expected and sends the trailing spaces and newlines.

Maybe I missed an option in TabSRMM which enables/disables message trimming. If not, I'd love TabSRMM either to offer such option or send messages without trimming.

More info:

http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthread.php?25069-Newline-in-Jabber
http://code.google.com/p/miranda/issues/detail?id=1005
Re: Jabber messages are trimmed on sending (newlines, spaces and tabs are removed) |
September 22, 2010, 01:03:44
See the reply on the bug tracker.

Trimming is by design and there is no option to disable it. I do not see where it should be an issue when only unneeded _leading_ and _trailing_ white spaces are trimmed. No other things are trimmed of course.

It is also necessary to work around some bugs in the rich edit which could lead to _unwanted_ trailing new lines (which would be much worse than trimmed trailing characters that no one needs or wants to see).

And yes, TabSRMM only trims at the end of the message, not at the beginning - you can easily verify this with outgoing messages: Leading white spaces or new lines will appear in your own message log and that's how the outgoing message looks like when it is sent to the protocol.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:12:32 by Nightwish
Re: Jabber messages are trimmed on sending (newlines, spaces and tabs are removed) |
September 22, 2010, 09:48:58
Trimming can be an issue, since XMPP is not only used to chat with humans, and some non-humans are very pedantic when it comes to leading tabs and terminating newlines :)

But I agree with you on that TabSRMM offers *chatting* convenience in the first place, where unwanted whitespace is much worse. So I guess I'll use SRMM when talking to my silicon-brained friends and hope that Miranda team keeps SRMM as strict as it is now.