YesNoOk

Hide clock (Read 2587 times)

Started by Druss, December 01, 2007, 19:56:49

Hide clock |
December 01, 2007, 19:56:49
Hi,

For the first time, one of my contact have specified his "timezone", so I see a clock on tabsrmm. And I don't want :-(
http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clocktabsrmmbr4.jpg

In userinfox, I tried to put his timezone to "unspecified", but it doesn't work, and I still see the clock.  :-X

he is using Gtalk (with Miranda). With my other contacts, i don't see any clock (for Gmail users, MSN users, and Miranda [gtalk, msn, irc...] users).

So how can I disable this clock ? Thanks.
Re: Hide clock |
December 01, 2007, 22:33:13
You can't. If a timezone is set, the clock will appear and indicate the local time for that contact. It is a VERY useful feature so there is no reason to disable it and the info panel was made exactly for that purpose (to show extended user information).

Hide the info panel if you don't need this.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
December 02, 2007, 09:25:21

it's useless because it's the same time as mine.

I don't want to hide the infopanel because I can see some (usefull) informations. but I don't want to see this clock. why not put an option to disable this ?
moreover my contact said that he never put his timezone, and I never put his timezone too in my userinfox. so...
I have tried to delete this information with userinfox and dbe++, but it was unsuccessfully. :(
December 02, 2007, 09:37:12
it's useless because it's the same time as mine.

Maybe for you, but please understand that It can be VERY useful when you have contacts from all over the world on your list.

I don't want to hide the infopanel because I can see some (usefull) informations. but I don't want to see this clock. why not put an option to disable this ?

Because:

1. The purpose of the info panel is to show extended information about the contact. Agreed?
2. It does NOT make any sense to have an info panel and then disable the information there. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't disturb anyone - an empty info panel would just be a waste of space. The space is used in a way which makes sense.
3. It does not make sense to add options for such things other than making configuring the plugin even harder than it already is.

moreover my contact said that he never put his timezone, and I never put his timezone too in my userinfox. so...
I have tried to delete this information with userinfox and dbe++, but it was unsuccessfully. :(

ICQ contacts ALWAYS have a timezone set. The protocol enforces this as this is part of the user information. On other protocols, it is different - in fact, most protocols don't even support it and you must set it manually. But ICQ is different.

Please just ignore that clock. There won't be any option for it as I cannot imagine that someone really feels annoyed by a simple timestamp. Very strange indeed.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
December 02, 2007, 12:58:15
If you read correctly my first post : it's not an ICQ contact (I don't have ICQ) but Gtalk/JGmail contact.

In option>messages sessions> customize there is only one tab.
why not add a tab like "info panel informations", where we can enable/disable/configure informations, like clock...
an option wich would be great :
- display custom nickname (when you rename your contact)
OR
- display "real" nickname.

There are a lot informations in userinfox. So if you display the clock you can also display the gender, age, first name, last name, ... but it's really useless, imo.
Maybe clock is usefull for some people. but also useless for others. so, in this case, put an option to enable/disable is great.

Actually, I have found a solution to hide the clock, but it's really ugly imo : I have put the same color for clock-font and color of the backgrounf (info panel fields).

I like info panel because with it I can see my contact avatar (and mine), but also his ID/mail, client, nickname, and statuts.
When you said "you can disable info panel if you don't want see clock" : sorry, but it's not a good deal. Why not writing "you can delete my plugin if you don't like the clock" ?
tabsrmm is really a great plugin, but you have to listen users' requests if you want to improve it.
December 02, 2007, 14:09:52
tabsrmm is really a great plugin, but you have to listen users' requests if you want to improve it.

Only when these requests would lead to an improvement which is clearly not the case with your request. It would only lead to more useless options and I will definitely NOT add any more options as long as they are not really needed. Add an option here, one there - and at some point, we would have 20 pages of options. Get real. That's not how to improve a plugin it's a way to make it WORSE.

Sorry, but I simply cannot understand why this timestamp bothers you so much. Ignore it, problem solved.

That's all for now. The clock won't go away, sorry. The infopanels purpose is to display information, not to hide it. Otherwise I could remove it completely from the plugin.

BTW: From my point of view, there is nothing more to say regarding this topic.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 14:11:51 by Nightwish
August 17, 2009, 08:08:27
actually it's not a tabSRMM issue.

it's ICQ.dll issue.

try to use NOT single-account icq.dll (there are single- and multi-) and voila: clock is not here!

If you want to use single account icq.dll on multiple accounts just copy it to icq2.dll or something like that.