YesNoOk

Group Chat Logging To Disk (Read 2361 times)

Started by Cyntalan, February 03, 2010, 04:42:08
Group Chat Logging To Disk |
February 03, 2010, 04:42:08
This was something I noticed with the original chat.dll for Miranda but seeing as how TabSRMM replaces this entirely, I figured it might be the more optimal place to have this idea played with.

The logging to disk function seems to be a carbon copy of the original, but it was always one thing that irked me as much then as it is in this variation: the output is... odd, and doesn't match up to what the message log on display is. The logging functions that are below the button to log to disk don't seem to affect this aspect and I was curious as to whether or not this would be feasible to impliment. Ideally, I'd prefer to see an rtf/html output option to have the "to disk" logging match the displayed log.

I think the biggest issue I've had with the original was actual messages, as opposed to actions/parts/joins/etc. Regardless of the displaying of the name vs. the message being either the default "%n: %m" or the more common IRC default "<%n> %m", neither are introduced, with the log instead using the asterisk as an indicator that it is a message, followed by " %n * %m". At the very least, if it were possible to make those variables affect the logging to disk along with the message log, that, I would think, would be a considerable improvement.
Re: Group Chat Logging To Disk |
February 03, 2010, 07:06:27
There are currently no plans to change group chat disk logging in TabSRMM.

The road map for V3 is basically complete, so there won't be any more feature additions or major changes from the current alpha builds, although some features are still incomplete.

Maybe in a later release, but that's something not set for the near future.

So, in short, plain text logging will remain as the only option.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
February 03, 2010, 15:22:56
There are currently no plans to change group chat disk logging in TabSRMM.

The road map for V3 is basically complete, so there won't be any more feature additions or major changes from the current alpha builds, although some features are still incomplete.

Maybe in a later release, but that's something not set for the near future.

So, in short, plain text logging will remain as the only option.

Plain text logging is fine. I just was curious as to whether or not changing how the actual messages output in plain text would be possible.

An example of what is displayed vs. what is in log:

Display: [19:25] <Cyntalan> oh how I remember those days...
Log: [02 Feb 10 19:25] * Cyntalan * oh how I remember those days...

I understand that first asterisk is a message type indicator, but I don't see the purpose behind the second one, nor does it translate the other message log variables from the display (it literally just pastes in %n, rather than using the value listed in that same settings tab, in my case, <%n>). That's the big change I'd like to see. Anything else is secondary.
February 04, 2010, 05:46:12
Plain text logging is fine. I just was curious as to whether or not changing how the actual messages output in plain text would be possible.

An example of what is displayed vs. what is in log:

Display: [19:25] <Cyntalan> oh how I remember those days...
Log: [02 Feb 10 19:25] * Cyntalan * oh how I remember those days...

I understand that first asterisk is a message type indicator, but I don't see the purpose behind the second one, nor does it translate the other message log variables from the display (it literally just pastes in %n, rather than using the value listed in that same settings tab, in my case, <%n>). That's the big change I'd like to see. Anything else is secondary.
Ok, understood. That should be fairly easy to correct. Actually, I never touched the disc logging code in TabSRMM - it still is the original chat.dll code on which TabSRMM's group chat integration is based on. Other areas got quite a lot of changes, but the logging code is basically unmodified.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
February 07, 2010, 18:18:59
Should be corrected in current SVN.

The asterisk was indeed wrong and no idea where it came from. In fact, it should be a colon so that spoken messages get the format Nick: message instead of Nick * message.

The first asterisk is the message class indicator and * stands for spoken message or action. There are others like < or > to indicate joins, parts and other events.

__
My SMF-based forum fork