YesNoOk

Font of message input area (Read 4509 times)

Started by IcyT, August 26, 2010, 12:55:00

Font of message input area |
August 26, 2010, 12:55:00
I'm using Miranda 0.9.1 and TabSRMM 3.0.1.3 and i want to have the font in the message input area to be bold but it does not work anymore. Italic doesn't work, too.
Despite that, changing the font type or the size still works.
Re: Font of message input area |
August 26, 2010, 16:35:24
It's not a bug. You cannot have bold italic or underlined fonts in the input area unless you use the database tweak to override it.

See the Wiki, it's documented there.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
August 26, 2010, 23:30:10
Okay. In my opinion, it is not userfriendly to let the user define the font (inclusive bold and italic) but don't change it that way the user changes it.
The database tweak works for me (tm), thanks.
August 26, 2010, 23:37:20
Okay. In my opinion, it is not userfriendly to let the user define the font (inclusive bold and italic) but don't change it that way the user changes it.

Creating issues is even less user friendly.

Problem here is that Miranda's font service (what you see under Customize->Fonts) does not allow to hide unwanted attributes which leads to the impression that TabSRMM simply ignores your choice.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
October 12, 2010, 15:18:18
can you explain in more details?

i installed the latest version of miranda 0.9.6.0 and tabsrmm 3.0.6.0 and now in input area the font is regular, but the received and sent messages are in bold.
in previous version i could set the input are to bold too.
also, i found another thing. if i set the Areal Black font - i get the input area customized to it, but the bold font still can't be set.
October 12, 2010, 15:20:00
i prefer to have Arial bold - and cant' use it.

Thanks
Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 15:21:42 by andyvit
October 12, 2010, 15:20:52
The topic explains everything. You cannot have a bold/italic/underline font for the input area unless you use the database tweak documented in the Wiki.

This is by design and it's required for the formatting parser to work correctly when using bbcode formatted text (or IRC-style text formatting in group chats).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 12, 2010, 15:24:43
well, i possibly don't understand some things but on previous version it worked well. didn't need any special settings.
also, why then it allows setting the Arial Black font?

can you at least point me to the documentation, as the search doesn't show me required doc's.
October 12, 2010, 15:31:53
It never "worked well", that's why it was changed and bold/italic/underline fonts are now forbidden. I do not understand where the issue is, just use a non-bold font and everything will be ok. Or would you use a bold font as the default in a word processor? Probably not, because when doing so, you cannot markup your text with bold and that's exactly why a default font should ALWAYS be without any attributes.

Simply use a normal font like Tahoma, Verdana or the like. It will also save you from other issues with unicode characters (many custom or non-standard fonts are not unicode safe).

The database tweak is documented in the wiki (link to the wiki on top of the page).
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 12, 2010, 15:40:33
on top of which page? don't see the link here

also, you didn't answer the question
"why then it allows setting the Arial Black font?"
Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 15:42:39 by andyvit
October 12, 2010, 15:45:18
Sorry if you don't understand. I answered all questions and gave enough reasons. Now please lets stop arguing and wasting time on this non-issue.

http://miranda.or.at/Database_tweaks_tabsrmm

Here is the list of database tweaks you can use in TabSRMM 3 and there is one for the font. Please understand that you are using any of these tweaks at your own risk. All db tweaks are unsupported and should be seen like registry tweaks for Windows. Should one of them cause troubles, your only option is to revert it. I do not support them in any way.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 13, 2010, 12:49:43
another small thing that i've noticed. the tabsrmm input area is set to arial bold. when typing text - all is in regular font, but when i paste link - it's in bold.
October 13, 2010, 12:51:44
another small thing that i've noticed. the tabsrmm input area is set to arial bold. when typing text - all is in regular font, but when i paste link - it's in bold.
And where is the problem?

DO NOT, repeat NOT, use a bold font. Period. The reason why bold fonts are not allowed are exactly such issues.

Can we close this now, you are explicitely making an issue out of something that does, by default, not exist.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
October 14, 2010, 07:27:35
well, you may go angry, but on older version of tabsrmm input area could be customized and messages were typed in bold. also, on current version of tabsrmm - Arial Rounded Bold font works for input area when use MSN and Yahoo messaging. other fonts are not. will you still say that this is normal?
also, if the input area fonts customization is not supported now for some strange reason, what's point of giving font settings for input area then??
October 14, 2010, 13:13:44
well, you may go angry, but on older version of tabsrmm input area could be customized and messages were typed in bold. also, on current version of tabsrmm - Arial Rounded Bold font works for input area when use MSN and Yahoo messaging. other fonts are not. will you still say that this is normal?

Yes, perfectly normal and if you had read this thread from the beginning, you would easily understand it just like everybody else does.

also, if the input area fonts customization is not supported now for some strange reason, what's point of giving font settings for input area then??

I'm not angry just a bit surprised about your level of "non understanding" and wondering why you are making a major issue out of something that isn't even worth discussing.

The input area IS customizable - font and color can be set.

And I also wonder why you not just use the database tweak to which I have pointed you THREE times in this thread. Using it will solve the issues you may have with the fonts.

To me it seems you do not WANT a solution, just arguing.

FACTS:

1) the input area is fully customizable.

2) Bold/underlined/italic attributes are not allowed for the default font, because the input area supports text formatting. That's why the basic font should have NO attributes. Just like in Word or any other word processor.

3) There is a database tweak to skip this check so you can have bold fonts if you want.

4) Using formatted/styled text for MSN or any other protocol is not supported in Miranda - messages are sent in plain text without any information about the font you are using. This has absolutely nothing to do with the font of the input area.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 13:26:16 by Nightwish
October 14, 2010, 13:40:11
And I also wonder why you not just use the database tweak to which I have pointed you THREE times in this thread. Using it will solve the issues you may have with the fonts.
because i haven't got a clue how to apply it  :D

can you explain?