YesNoOk

Change logs week 27, 2012 (Read 3624 times)

Started by Nightwish, July 02, 2012, 13:14:24

Change logs week 27, 2012 |
July 02, 2012, 13:14:24
Biggest change this time is the new rating system (aka "likes reloaded").
  • The like system has been converted into a more flexible post rating system. More here.
  • Fixed lots of issues with uncookied sessions (= sessions that use PHPSESSID) and pretty URLs.
  • Notifications (aka alerts) now respect the member- and board ignore lists. Events triggered by users on your ignore list or happening in ignored boards will be filtered out from the list of unseen notifications. Note that this is dynamic - the events are still there, just filtered from display, so when the ignore lists are updated (for example, you remove a previously ignored user), those hidden events will come back.
  • Same as above, but for the activity stream. Events in ignored boards or generated by ignored users are hidden from display.
  • It is now possible to view who rated a post by clicking on the number of ratings. Note that this requires permission to view detailed ratings (can_view_ratings) if the rating is a "non-neutral" one (= a rating that can modify the reputation points balance).
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:52:32 by Nightwish
Re: Change logs week 27, 2012 |
July 07, 2012, 11:40:01
Side bar changes and experimenting with plugins

First, the side bar visibility state does no longer depend on a cookie. It is now stored in the user's profile (better, because a member will keep the settings even when using different browsers) or in $_SESSION for guests. It's also a step towards reducing the number of cookies which might be interesting for people operating a site in the EU, because of the stupid EU cookie law.

Second, the sidebar now knows the concept of classes. This makes it possible to have the side bar visible on the index, but hidden on other pages for which a side bar exists, because sidebar visibility is no longer "global" for the entire forum.

Another goal is to make sidebar content fetching and loading dynamic, so that for a hidden side bar, no queries or CPU cycles will be wasted. Also, I want to make the side bar functional without JavaScript (not with all features, of course, but toggling its visibility should work).

After finding a relatively easy way to implement template hooks in the new smarty template system, I'm now playing a bit with plugins, utilizing code and template hooks only (no code edits). In addons/testplugin, there is now a simple plugin that implements a side bar for the messageindex, showing recent activities and updated topics in the board.

I've also decided to push the minimum requirements to PHP 5.3 (previously, it was 5.2), simply because closures are cool and allow for much cleaner code under many circumstances.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork