YesNoOk

Background image in the input area :) (Read 5368 times)

Started by Nightwish, May 02, 2005, 08:04:44

Background image in the input area :) |
May 02, 2005, 08:04:44
It's now possible to set a background image in the message input area. This is very simple and won't get any more options. The image is stretched to fit the size of the input box, so it should be of reasonable size and quality to avoid aliasing and pixelating problems.

Supported image types are: .bmp, .gif, .jpg.

There isn't much to configure also. Just a menu entry on the message log dialog to select a file. It's best looking with gradient-type images or other images which can be stretched and painted at any aspect ratio.

Please don't ask to add background image support for the message log. It cannot work because the log makes excessive use of the rich edit \highlight command to set background colors. Technically, these colors don't qualify as window background. They are painted with foreground attributes, so a background image would never be visible in the message log window.

And nope, removing the \highlight stuff is not an option, as this would kill a lot of formatting options.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Re: Background image in the input area :) |
May 02, 2005, 13:02:54
Good news... More features... Time for a testingrelease soon? :)
May 02, 2005, 13:37:22
Good news... More features... Time for a testingrelease soon? :)

No idea, but shouldn't be so long. This time, the changelog is really impressive, but the number of really new features isn't that big, compared to the last release with the tray stuff. In short...

• message templates (already discussed in the variables thread)
  • log freezing to stop updates
  • better mousewheel handling (scrolls the area under the pointer, no need to change focus)
  • improved autocopy (configureable, can be default behaviour)
  • some important bugfixes (autolocale keyboard-layout stealing etc..)
  • various popup fixes and improvements (osd announcing, proper display of auth/add events)
  • background images for the input area
  • tray fixes - added tooltip for xp trayicon hiding, middleclick instead of doubleclick
  • minimize to tray can now work w/o that ugly animation :)
  • the ugly "add contact" bar is gone, instead, 2 small buttons with icons are present. They take much less screen space and look better.

Still, this build has actually less options than previous builds, mainly, because the message log is now template-driven. Also, all "per contact" options and overrides are now accessible from a single dialog box, so this should be less confusing than before.

__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
May 02, 2005, 15:39:40
impressive indeed
i hope the container history thing will make it to that list soon :)
it's amazing how you implemented so many great changes in such a short time
it takes me hours to code every simple piece of code in poor vb :P

BTW i emailed the SMS plugin author to ask him about the incompatibility. I'll let you know if he responds
May 02, 2005, 15:43:48
impressive indeed

That's a bit harder :) But I think, the new session list (tray menu) will help a bit as it holds information about the tabs with unread events.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 02, 2005, 16:00:35
then i guess i'll have to keep the tray icon for now  :)
i can live with that, but i'll nag you about it a bit more after 1.0  :laugh:

EDIT: looking at the history i can see i first reported it in 15/09/04, i am very persistent  :o  8)
Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 16:13:47 by PROGAME
May 02, 2005, 16:26:21
impressive indeed

That's a bit harder :) But I think, the new session list (tray menu) will help a bit as it holds information about the tabs with unread events.

Am I right, that you meant the auto-create tabs-options for tabs, which were open when Miranda was closed?
So I think the easiest way for that, is to put a boolean variable for each contact, that was opened/closed to remember the state. I don't know, but to check that on startup wouldn't need so much time.
But am I telling you that? You created so much features in tabsrmm, so this might be too simple for you :D
__
Rettet dem Genitiv sein Bestehen.
May 02, 2005, 16:33:54
Am I right, that you meant the auto-create tabs-options for tabs, which were open when Miranda was closed?
So I think the easiest way for that, is to put a boolean variable for each contact, that was opened/closed to remember the state. I don't know, but to check that on startup wouldn't need so much time.
But am I telling you that? You created so much features in tabsrmm, so this might be too simple for you :D

Nope, this is related to the autoswitch tabs feature, which can mark unread tabs as read while switching to a new tab in a minimized container. So, it's possible to "miss" messages when using the autoswitch option.

The whole autoswitch stuff is a bit scary, as it changes the tab control selection without user intervention, something which is not recommended at all - as far as I know, it also crashes on Win 9x, but this is probably not fixable, because an application should not automatically change the tab control selection w/o user action. It works on XP (at least, w/o crashing), but sometimes focus messages are delivered improperly and since a tab reacts on focus/activation messages to mark itself as "read", this can happen.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 02, 2005, 16:38:03
__
Rettet dem Genitiv sein Bestehen.
May 02, 2005, 17:48:47
it's not scary it's...amazingly comfortable and efficient  :biggrin:  :P
May 02, 2005, 17:54:07
it's not scary it's...amazingly comfortable and efficient  :biggrin:  :P

Technically, it's scary :) I actually didn't think it could work when I first tried to implement it, because of that damn Win32 tab control :)
__
My SMF-based forum fork
May 02, 2005, 18:39:22