YesNoOk

Alt+Tab list (Read 4572 times)

Started by razorroot, December 16, 2006, 20:41:09

Alt+Tab list |
December 16, 2006, 20:41:09
Is there a way to make the contact list appear on the Alt+Tab list (and/or the taskbar)?

Version info:
Miranda IM 0.7.0 alpha build #6 Unicode
CList Nicer+ (Unicode) 0.7.0.5
Re: Alt+Tab list |
December 16, 2006, 21:54:30
No. The clist occupying space on the taskbar is usually not wanted by people, so I have implemented some code which removes the taskbar button even when the clist has a "full" border and window title bar.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
December 16, 2006, 22:08:24
I can understand the taskbar preference.

But I'd really like to see miranda in the Alt+Tab list.

I think it is possible to hide the taskbar entry and have an Alt+Tab entry at the same time. I use foobar2000, and there is a plugin which hides the taskbar entry, but the Alt+Tab entry stays.

Btw. why is the "hide taskbar entry" not a changeable user preference?
December 16, 2006, 22:24:14
I think it is possible to hide the taskbar entry and have an Alt+Tab entry at the same time. I use foobar2000, and there is a plugin which hides the taskbar entry, but the Alt+Tab entry stays.

Actually, I know the foobar plugin and clist_nicer uses *exactly* the same code to remove the taskbar button.

Alt-tab switching with clist_nicer works when:

* Border mode is set to "Title bar"
* clist is not minimized to the tray.

As soon as you minimize the clist, alt-tab won't work any longer and there is no way around it, because the contact list is always minimized to the tray.

Btw. why is the "hide taskbar entry" not a changeable user preference?

Because its exactly how I want it to be and an option would be useless as it wouldn't change the behaviour in any way.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
December 16, 2006, 22:33:50
Alt-tab switching with clist_nicer works when:

* Border mode is set to "Title bar"
* clist is not minimized to the tray.

Oh. I obviously overlooked that. Thanks. Problem solved.

As soon as you minimize the clist, alt-tab won't work any longer and there is no way around it, because the contact list is always minimized to the tray.

What does the "Minimize to tray" option do?
December 16, 2006, 22:53:12
What does the "Minimize to tray" option do?

In clist_nicer basically nothing, because it cannot be minimized to the taskbar (no button - no minimized window on the taskbar). It only changes some internal things and is kept for compatibility.

Other contact lists allow to be minimized to the taskbar, but then you have the taskbar button which won't go away. As a benefit, you can use alt-tab when the clist is minimized. However, this works only one OR the other way - getting *everything* working (removed taskbar button AND fully working alt-tab switching regardless of window state) simply isn't possible, because Windows explorer doesn't allow it.
__
My SMF-based forum fork
December 16, 2006, 23:20:50
It only changes some internal things and is kept for compatibility.

Ah, now I understand why it is still there.

Other contact lists allow to be minimized to the taskbar, but then you have the taskbar button which won't go away. As a benefit, you can use alt-tab when the clist is minimized. However, this works only one OR the other way - getting *everything* working (removed taskbar button AND fully working alt-tab switching regardless of window state) simply isn't possible, because Windows explorer doesn't allow it.

Thanks for this explanation - it's a lot better than "Because its exactly how I want it to be"  ;). I think I will stick to Clist Nicer+ in title bar mode and TabSRMM. They are great plugins and were a big part in today's decision to switch from Trillian to Miranda (which I haven't used or seen in action before). Keep up the good work.
May 24, 2007, 20:06:01
Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 20:14:52 by MadBrozzeR