YesNoOk
  1. Welcome!
    EosAlpha BBS is a fork of the popular Simple Machines Forum software. We aim at creating a new forum software, adding several new features and a modern and fresh design on top of the existing SMF code base.

This software is currently in an early stage of development and this forum acts primarily as a testing platform for the ongoing development.

Feel free to look around to get an idea about how it feels and looks.

Admin area overhaul (Read 2186 times)

Started by Nightwish, August 15, 2011, 14:44:31

Share this topic:
Admin area overhaul |
August 15, 2011, 14:44:31
Some work on the admin panel

I started to rework the admin / moderator and profile areas, because they all share a common design in SMF.

First of all, the menu toggle is gone for good. I never liked the dropdown menus in the admin and profile areas, because these CSS-based menus are just evil. They'll always get into your way when you need them least and are somewhat confusing given the number of entries the admin area offers.

Sidebar is the way to go, especially because we tend to have more horizontal than vertical space to waste in our widescreen resolution world and sidebars are just a common thing in web applications.

See the screenshot for how it currently looks like. Note the yellow bars is something I'd already implemented throughout the UI - ticked check boxes now mark the entire table row with a highlight CSS class. This also works for most inline moderation tasks.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Re: Admin area overhaul |
August 15, 2011, 15:47:41
That looks way better than the current SMF admin CP.

I am glad you are doing this and actually making SMF into a modern forum script. It seems SMF itself is falling apart without any devs or any new features.

Anyways, I'm really happy! Keep it up :)
1 Like It 
August 15, 2011, 16:31:32
That looks way better than the current SMF admin CP.

I am glad you are doing this and actually making SMF into a modern forum script. It seems SMF itself is falling apart without any devs or any new features.
It's not going to fall apart. The code is now Open Source and should they decide to stop official development, others will take over sooner or later. The code is good enough to serve as a starting point for new developments. I'm not the first one who is using it and I'm pretty sure, I won't be the last one.

Open source projects rarely die, they may sleep or even hibernate for some time, but at one point, someone will come by to resurrect them :)
Anyways, I'm really happy! Keep it up :)
It's just started, there is more to come :)
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
August 31, 2011, 22:27:24
First of all, the menu toggle is gone for good. I never liked the dropdown menus in the admin and profile areas, because these CSS-based menus are just evil. They'll always get into your way when you need them least and are somewhat confusing given the number of entries the admin area offers.
Opinions may differ here... I'm not a big fan of the sidebar setting here, precisely because there are so many pages, and I like being able to reach any page in a single click.

So, IMHO, the best 'fix' is to simply ditch the menu system and write a better one... Well, at least that's the way I did it, for what it's worth ;)
__
  Wedge
« Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974.
It's a scientific fact. » (Homer Simpson)
September 01, 2011, 00:08:16
Opinions may differ here... I'm not a big fan of the sidebar setting here, precisely because there are so many pages, and I like being able to reach any page in a single click.
Well, the entire admin area needs serious work - I've posted a few ideas here and ultimately, the menu system should be customizeable as well. I still prefer side bar menus, but it should be possible to arrange them as you seem fit and maybe they should be collapsible with a flyout option for less frequently needed tasks. Let an admin re-arrange the menu entries via drag and drop, basically allowing him to build his own menus and I'm sure, he won't complain.

The only problem is that this is not something that can be fixed easily with the current code base. It needs a total rewrite.
__
My SMF-based forum fork