YesNoOk

About avatars on the Windows 7 task bar (Read 7909 times)

Started by Nightwish, January 02, 2010, 04:17:26
About avatars on the Windows 7 task bar |
January 02, 2010, 04:17:26
This is a new feature in TabSRMM 3, however, it needs some clarification when and how it works, because some people reported that they cannot get it to work, so I investigated a bit further.

First, it requires Windows 7 (obviously). Second, it requires that the task bar is configured to show large icons (right click the taskbar, choose Properties... and uncheck "Use small icons"). And third, it must be enabled in TabSRMM under Message Sessions->Advanced tweaks->Use Windows 7 task bar features. The setting is enabled by default and you can leave it on even when you are not running Miranda on Windows 7 in which case the code is disabled, regardless of the setting.

After checking that these 3 prerequisites are fulfilled, it should work.

If it doesn't, then because you have pinned Miranda to the task bar AND are using the "icon only" mode ("Always combine, hide labels") checked in the aforementioned properties dialogue. In this case, Miranda itself (the contact list to be more specific) will "take over" the task bar button and the message window will not be able to change the icon. It can still set the overlay icon though, but it cannot replace the big Miranda icon with the user's avatar. So, in this case, you will always see the big Miranda icon on the task bar and the status icon of the current message tab will be visible as an overlay.

This is how it should look like (note that text labels on the task bar are enabled - in this case, you can pin Miranda to the task bar and still get the avatars).

To sum it up: Miranda pinned to the task bar AND using the "Always combine" mode will prevent TabSRMM from showing avatars on the task bar. In any other configuration it should work.
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
Re: About avatars on the Windows 7 task bar |
June 12, 2010, 03:12:29
In addition, if the avatar still doesn't show up, try pinning then unpinning the message window, this will temporarily allow the avatars to show (not a permanent fix, but it might be a clue). Alternatively, creating a new profile also solved the issue for me (this is a permanent solution, but took a lot of work re-customizing everything).
New #3
Re: About avatars on the Windows 7 task bar |
October 14, 2010, 06:47:59
Thank you very much but i like informaiton to you.
Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:14:15 by Admin