YesNoOk
  1. Welcome!
    EosAlpha BBS is a fork of the popular Simple Machines Forum software. We aim at creating a new forum software, adding several new features and a modern and fresh design on top of the existing SMF code base.

This software is currently in an early stage of development and this forum acts primarily as a testing platform for the ongoing development.

Feel free to look around to get an idea about how it feels and looks.

Feature Topic prefixes (Read 2349 times)

Started by Nightwish, August 04, 2011, 11:19:42
smf

Share this topic:
Topic prefixes |
August 04, 2011, 11:19:42
Another often requested feature: Topic prefixes.
  • The number of prefixes is not limited.
  • Prefixes can be HTML formatted to allow colors, different fonts and other markup.
  • Any topic prefixes can be either global (for all boards) or limited to a subset of boards. Only prefixes that are allowed for a board can be selected when posting a new topic.
  • The availability of prefixes to users is controlled by a new board permission.
  • Boards can be configured to make using a topic prefix mandatory for each new topic.
  • They are visible in the message index, topic view and (optionally) in the last post information on the board index
  • By editing the first post of a topic, the prefix can be modified.
Todo:

+ Ajax-method for quickly changing the prefix in topic view and message index (for admins and moderators).
+ Allow the prefix to act as a search parameter.

Considering

+ Ability to sort message index by prefix (makes sense?)
__
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
My SMF-based forum fork
2 Like It 
Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 00:38:20 by Admin
Re: Topic prefixes |
June 27, 2012, 22:48:55
Hey. Giving a short comment about this as well :)

I have been running SMF for ages (switched from YaBBSE back in the day). At some point (2007?) I implemented a mod that allowed filtering by message icons, and enforced selection of an icon on certain boards, so that in some of them the icons can be used as a categorization method.

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?board=359.0

This was received very well by users, and it seems similar in spirit to what the prefixes are doing. So those todo and considering points sound like a very good idea to me, definitely worth it.
1 Like It